Subject: Re: [Fishfolk] : Scripps Oceanography and Sugihara
From: jonas bjarnason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 18 Apr 2008 19:38:59 -0000

><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><>
If you reply to this message, it will go to all FISH-SCI members.
><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><>

  _____

This is a duplicate letter, or a second letter, with different letters than
the previous one as I have been receiving a not understandable letter from
the FISH-list moderators.  I don’t know what was wrong with the first one.
Jonas

Bill, thanks for your post.  And you refer professor Sugihara and that is
important; I did so myself about a year ago, if I remember correctly.  He is
observing some properties of fish, which others have been describing as
evolutionary changes.  So, what Sugihara is saying is not intrinsically new,
but he uses new terminology, methods and he is, or was, independent and
unbiased ,but an extremely intelligent capacity with all the gear and money
he needed to have fresh look at a multitude of problematics and a world
almost stiff or cemented by wrestlings of biological, statistical,
mathematical, oceanographic, ichtological, genetical or whatever
“Besserwissers” and bigmouths. And coming forward with a picture looking a
bit odd at first glance, but intrinsically containing all the major factor
of the science of evolutionary changes of fish stocks.  If you can look away
from the big fish he is talking about, the swordfishes and so on, and
recreational hook fishing, you ought to be able to see the main picture
about the hopeless idea of single fish management and current fisheries
management as a whole.

Cheers, Jonas