Subject: Re: [Fishfolk] Noteworthy blog on science and science polity
From: Gary Sharp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 3 Dec 2008 09:35:10 -0800

BillS,

You will discover that it was Bush I that started the rampage
described by Olivia Johnson -

Bill Evans was Administrator of NOAA - and gave up when GHBush and
team simply ignored
the EXXON Valdeze disaster - while many were ready within hours to go
in and minimize the mess.

All described clearly in this 'Lecture' on Politics Vs Science -

<http://myweebio.net/fRUSTRATIONS_AUGUST_2004_PolicyIII.pdf>
  http://myweebio.net/fRUSTRATIONS_AUGUST_2004_PolicyIII.pdf

Within a few years, by 1991, the End of The Cold War - and ONR was
defunded,
and a few Senior Senators started stealing any funds to build their
state's institutions -
Trent Lott was the worst, with hawaii and Alaska not far behind...

No recovery within the empirical ocean sciences since.

I am not sure things will improve - as there are fewer education
systems that
actually teach, rather than preach - and Hypothesis Testing (Facts Vs
Hyppotheses) is gone.
___

Gary Sharp
  Center for Climate/Ocean Resources Study
  780 Harrison Road, Salinas, California 93907
  <http://sharpgary.org>
  831-449-9212

  "The improver of natural knowledge absolutely refuses
  to acknowledge authority, as such. For him, scepticism
  is the highest of duties; blind faith the one unpardonable sin."
  Thomas H. Huxley