Subject: Re: Culturing mullet
From: Chris McDonough <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 4 Dec 2008 08:41:59 -0500

Bill,

I have to admit that most of my knowledge comes from doing life history
work on mullet but I have come across quite a bit of culture work with
them over the years.  Mullet have a long history of being cultured in
north Africa and other parts of the eastern Med.  There is some fairly
extensive research on their culture, although most large operations
still rely on wild caught fish for brood stock and getting them to spawn
artificially has been problematic.  In the US, mullet have been cultured
in Hawaii and there has been quite a bit of research done there as well.
The market in the US is mainly confined to the Gulf coast where the
commercial fisheries target them primarily for roe, but the meat is
eaten also.  They have been used in poly-culture experimental systems in
the Phillipines and Taiwan due their position on the food chain and the
fact that they can tolerate a wide range of environmental conditions.
As for marketing and economic information, the best source I'm aware of
is through the UN FAO fisheries office.  It has a lot on economic
information as far as market concentrations and where mullet are
exported/imported, largest consumers, etc.  Mullet are an excellent
culture species, but there are some issues with large scale production
that need to be overcome.  Some basic literature searches in the
aquaculture journals should give you a range of work that has been done
all over the world with several different mullet species (the most
common is Mugil cephalus), that will range from the 70's through the
early 90's.  Most of the recent work, as far as culturing them goes,
will be found overseas.  Mullet have commercial importance on just about
every continent, so they would make a good candidate if some of the
technical glitches can be worked out.

Chris McDonough

Fisheries Biologist
Marine Resources Research Institute
South Carolina Dept. of Natural Resources
P.O. Box 12599
Charleston, SC 29422-2559
(843)953-9231 phone
(843)953-9820 fax