Subject: Re: From fishing to piracy...
From: William Silvert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 5 Dec 2008 15:22:25 -0000

It is interesting to note that these two stories contradict each other about
the involvement of fishermen in piracy. Does anyone have any authoritative
information about whether many of the pirates are former fishermen, as the
Press Democrat story states, or whether they are simply using the fishermen
as an alibi, as Der Spiegel states? And what other cases are on the books
where fishermen allegedly turn to crime in the face of falling catches?

I am reminded that interviewers have reported that fishermen in the Caspian
Sea are well aware that sturgeon are overfished, but that they continue to
poach them because that is the only income they have. Closing a fishery
without providing an alternative line of work doesn't seem to accomplish
much.

Bill Silvert