Subject: Re: Mullet fishery in NSW
From: Bill Silvert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 8 Dec 2008 10:15:44 -0000

While I am not famliar with Australian mullet, one problem I hear from other
areas is that mullet are not very selective about where they feed, and often
they end up around ports and marinas where their food contains traces of
diesel fuel which ends up in the flesh. This could presumably be avoided
with farmed mullet or with mullet caught in cleaner areas.

It is nice to know tht there is still somewhere in the world where fish is
cheap. In Portugal, which I understand is the second country in the world in
per capita fish consumption, the price of fish is going up rapidly and
consumption is likely to fall drastically. Mullet is for sale here and is
fairly cheap, but with increasing industrialisation of its coastal zone
habitat it seems to be falling into disfavour due to problems with the
taste. Still, a butterfly cut of mullet with olive oil and garlic is really
good!

In terms of marketing, it is important to keep in mind that peple tend to be
very conservative about the fish they eat and it is hard to get them to
change. Despite the huge appetite for fish in Portugal, many fish prized in
other countries are disdained here. The Portuguese generally do not like
fresh cod or pickled herring, and they prefer their bacalhau (salt cod) to
be be wet and heavily salted rather than the sun-dried light salt esteemed
in Newfoundland. Fish like eel and lamprey are totally unmrketable in some
countries but are incredibly desirable and expensive in others.

Bill Silvert