Subject: Re: circle hooks
From: "Pade, N. G." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 8 Dec 2008 11:02:38 +0000

Hi Juan,

My experience with circle hooks is that they are a lot harder to get "hooked". I work with sharks and we tried using circle hooks to begin with for catching our fish to tag. As it turned out we lost a high number of fish as they didn't get hooked. We eventually switched to large "J" hooks with the harb filed down and that worked much better. However, you have a much greater chance of hooking the animal in the stomach which is less desirable if you intend to keep your animal alive. I am afraid I cannot give you any references to back this up.

I hope this is of some help,

Cheers,

Nick
Department of Zoology,