Subject: circle hooks
From: Stephen Cotterell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 14 Dec 2008 17:43:48 +0000

Dear All

I have been following this thread with interest.  Hi Nick, well done with your J Exp Mar Biol & Ecol paper and you missed a nice group lunch last week.

In 2009 and into future years I am going to be tagging some ray species (especially Raja clavata) and will be catching them by both short trawls and by deploying longlines.  I found 75 resources on ISI Web of Science after searching for circle hooks of which around 80 % dealt with either a comparison to J hooks or effects of using them in a fishery.  Only 1 paper (Kerstetter & Graves, Fish Res, 80: 2-3, p239-250) makes reference to rays and their examples are quite different.

I'm aware of the flow chart from stock, though available fish, accessible fish, encountered fish to retained fish and I'd welcome whatever advice is out there to maximise uptake and retention and minimise loss or swallowing and though to ask before this thread goes cold.  If you have thoughts on leader or snood and main line, I'd welcome these too.  Given that our purpose is to release healthy animals, I'll be using a clipped-on snood so an individual can be landed in a net and un-hooked from the main line, but I'm sure there are many pieces of practical, valuable help out there.

Best wishes

Stephen

- Dr Stephen Cotterell
- Marine Institute, University of Plymouth

- The Marine Biological Association of the United Kingdom
- The Laboratory, Citadel Hill
- Plymouth
- PL1 2PB
- T: +44(0)1752 633287