Subject: Re: [IOBB-IBS-FORUM] Re: cray fish and freshwater clams/mussels
From: "Justin C. Johnston" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 2 Dec 2008 13:41:55 -0500

Steve,

My thoughts as to why the Lota lota is not commonly eaten follow...

Common names for Lota lota include burbot and eelpout.  There are actually festivals for the "eelpout" in places like Minnesota.  It is good table fair, but in the great lakes (and likely other areas) it is overshadowed by the trout and salmon fisheries.  It is probably better eating than the percids like the yellow perch and walleye, but it is not as easy to catch and so it again is overshadowed.  Plus, they just aren't that pretty of a fish so sportfisherman may get deterred and children probably would refuse to even touch one.

Just my thoughts, I have no real evidence of the above.

Cheers,
Justin