Subject: Re: Species ID - oil fish, Ruvettsu pretiosus
From: Richard Lord <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 23 Dec 2008 10:56:20 +0000

My first impression is an oil fish, Ruvettus pretiosus.  The oils in
the flesh can produce a runny stool but it is delicious as long as you
have a bathroom close by - no warning given.  A wax ester in the flesh
causes this condition.  If the oils are removed during cooking one can
be OK but the delicious flavour is in the oil.  This fish has also
been known to cause scombroid poisoning (see Google search below)
although I have not experienced this personally.

http://www.fishbase.org/summary/SpeciesSummary.php?ID=1044

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=%22ruvettus+pretiosus%22+wax+ester&btnG=Search&meta=

Best wishes,
Yours sincerely,