Subject: Re: Editorial on Mercury
From: Bill Silvert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 23 Dec 2008 12:02:27 -0000

I agree with Craig's points, except that I wonder whether the reduction of
mercury is a medium-term or long-term proposition. I don't know the
residence time for mercury in the ocean, can someone enlighten us on that
point?

Also, what is the spatial distribution of mercury? The best-known incidents
have involved high concentrations in bays and lakes, but are the oceans all
equally impacted? Is there spatial variation in the mercury load of fish
like tuna?

These are not rhetorical questions, I really do not know the answers. But I
do think that these are issues that need to be addressed if we want to deal
effectively with the mercury problem.

Bill Silvert