Subject: Re: Editorial on Mercury
From: "Harris, Craig" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 23 Dec 2008 07:54:42 -0500

thanks to bill for his additional comments . . .

indeed one of my points was that, through environmental health activism
and food safety activism, we should force the reduction of anthropogenic
sources from the longterm agenda to the middle term agenda (and
hopefully near middle term, at that) . . .

i agree with bill that we need to have realistic expectations of how
quickly mercury content in various species (open ocean, highly
migratory, relatively immobile) will decrease . . . but we know from our
experience with ozone destroying chemicals (1) that the problem will not
decrease at all until we reduce the anthropogenic input, and (2) that
the problem can improve fairly quickly if we make a major effort to
reduce the anthropogenic input . . .

i also agree with bill that much of our awareness of mercury
contamination of seafood comes from fairly localized examples due to
mining or manufacturing processes (e.g., minamata disease, st. james bay
cree) . . . my sense is that once the processes whereby aquatic, benthic
and sedimentary biota methylate inorganic mercury were identified and
understood, fate and transport modeling of localized situations became
fairly straightforward . . . like bill, i'm not aware of how well
developed is the modeling of the longer distance processes that
determine the fate and transport of mercury emited into the air from the
combustion of fossil fuels and other anthropogenic sources . . . if
better understanding of these longer distance processes is needed, we
should be advocating for the allocation of more resources to this
research . . .

cheers,

craig

craig k harris
department of sociology
michigan agricultural experiment station
national food safety and toxicology center
institute for food and agricultural standards
food safet policy center
michigan state university
http://www.msu.edu/~harrisc/