Subject: Re: [IOBB-IBS-FORUM] Re: cray fish and freshwater clams/mussels
From: "Justin C. Johnston" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 2 Dec 2008 13:59:54 -0500

PtP

Burbot are in the same family as the Cod (Gadidae), but are a different species from those found in the ocean (such as the atlantic cod, Gadus morhua) that are typically comercialized.  Catfish are a different order of fish altogether with a huge amount of diversity, especially in South America.  So in short and to answer your questions, no burbot/catfish are not freshwater cod.

Cheers,
Justin