Subject: Re: Mercury in fish
From: [log in to unmask]
Date:Fri, 26 Dec 2008 10:17:47 -0800

Every mercury-containing thermometer, every mercury light bulb, every
mercury-containing thermostat, and paint with mercury as a contaminant
that has burned in structure fires for many decades has polluted every
surface water source in the nation and the world. One mercury thermometer
had enough mercury to cause sublethal effects on many aquatic organisms in
a small lake. This contamination adds to the volcanic and other
antropogenic sources to reduce fitness of biota in general... including
humans. This toxic input is not isolated, it is a part of multiexposure
regimes of other toxic contaminants such as lead and cadmium, with which
it has additive and synergistic effects. The 'poison' is not the
individual toxicant! .... It is the total toxic burden that builds up
multiple stressors that sicken all of society and biota of the world. If
'monitoring' is the attempt to see the reality of the water quality so
that we can make informed progress toward societal health... we had better
get some clarity and sustainability for our restoration and conservation
effort by greatly increasing funding for pointedly investigative
monitoring... even though it is a basically politically subversive
activity in the short view. We desperately need to turn this around
quickly. Get a grip on it, and get to work on it.

Ray Kinney