Subject: [RE: [IOBB-IBS-FORUM] Re: cray fish and freshwater clams/mussels]
From: Steve Gutreuter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 2 Dec 2008 13:11:58 -0600

On Tue, 2008-12-02 at 13:41 -0500, Justin C. Johnston wrote:
> Steve,
>
> My thoughts as to why the Lota lota is not commonly eaten follow...
>
> Common names for Lota lota include burbot and eelpout.  There are actually
> festivals for the "eelpout" in places like Minnesota.  It is good table fair,
> but in the great lakes (and likely other areas) it is overshadowed by the
> trout and salmon fisheries.  It is probably better eating than the percids
> like the yellow perch and walleye, but it is not as easy to catch and so it
> again is overshadowed.  Plus, they just aren't that pretty of a fish so
> sportfisherman may get deterred and children probably would refuse to even
> touch one.

Interesting.  My favorite hypothesis involved another common name in the
Laurentian Great Lakes region; lawyer (for those unfamiliar with US
English, read barrister, attorney and law, councilor, etc.).  Many may
also refuse to touch one of those.  :-)

I find them to be excellent table fare (they were one of my principal
sources of cheap protein during my undergrad education).

Cheers,
--
Steve Gutreuter