Subject: Re: [IOBB-IBS-FORUM] Re: cray fish and freshwater clams/mussels
From: "Trevor J. Kenchington" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 2 Dec 2008 15:21:38 -0400

Individual salmon cross between salt and freshwater by changing their
physiology to suit the needs of different parts of their lifecycles.
There are some other species like that -- the "freshwater" eels, for
example.

Lobsters, crayfish, clams and mussels have some freshwater species
and some marine species but I do not know of any species in those
groups that can happily live in either fresh or salt water. Burbot
are to cod as freshwater crayfish are to saltwater lobsters.

Then there are species that can tolerate anything from strictly
freshwater through to fully saline seawater, at least if individuals
are given some time to acclimate. Some species of sticklebacks can do
that.

Sea-run trout fit somewhere into the first or third group.

Trevor Kenchington