Subject: Re: [IOBB-IBS-FORUM] Re: cray fish and freshwater clams/mussels
From: "Justin C. Johnston" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 2 Dec 2008 14:23:14 -0500

PtP,

The answer to your question is complex.  There is no such thing as a freshwater/saltwater barrier unless you are referring to something like a coastal Fjord lake with a distinct hypocline.  The reality is that most fish live within some range of salinities and exhibit different stress levels at different salinities.  Some fishes have a high tolerance of many salinities, whereas others are not as tolerant.  Tolerance of salinities may also change at different stages of the fishes life (ontogenetic changes).  To get at your point though, I am not aware of a single cod species that can live in both sea water and freshwater.  I would be willing to bet that some can live in the range of salinities found in between (brackish water).  Others on the list may prove me wrong though.

Cheers,
Justin