Subject: Re: Treatment of samples for PCB/Dioxin analyses.
From: "West, James E (DFW)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 1 Dec 2008 11:08:17 -0800

Chris, we have been monitoring PCBs and other organics in fish tissues for almost 20 years and our protocols specify -20C.   You are correct however that fatty acids require -80C asap, and it is best to keep them in the whole body form (frozen of course)prior to homogenization.

James E. West
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
Marine Resources Division
600 Capitol Way N
Olympia, WA 98501

v1 360.902.2842
v2 206.302.2427
fax 360.902.2944

Puget Sound Assessment and Monitoring Program
http://www.wdfw.wa.gov/fish/psamp/