Help for ESFO-L Archives

ESFO-L Archives

Subject: Changing South Pacific reprinted
From: Serge TCHERKEZOFF <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 27 Jan 2009 20:46:50 +0800

Dear Esfo and Asao netters, participants to the Pacific Roots
network, to the PSI network,

some of  you were trying to get our book

The CHANGING SOUTH PACIFIC: identities and transformations,

published by Pandanus Press in 2005 (as a translation of our French
book of 1997: le Pacifique Sud aujourd'hui, CNRS Editions), could not
as the book became sold out. We are happy to let you know that the
book is now available, with no risk of being out of print as we were
fortunate to be accepted by ANU E press. The book is available for
FREE download (and,for those who wish, buying printed on-demand copies):
See the link:
http://epress.anu.edu.au/csp_citation.html

******

The Changing South Pacific
Identities and Transformations

Edited by Serge Tcherkézoff and Françoise Douaire-Marsaudon

ISBN 9781921536144 $24.95 (GST inclusive)
ISBN 9781921536151 (Online) (FREE DOWNLOAD)
This edition published December 2008
First edition © 2005 Pandanus Books

The Changing South Pacific

The texts collected in this volume take an anthropological approach
to the variety of contemporary societal problems which confront the
peoples of the contemporary South Pacific: religious revival, the
sociology of relations between local groups, regions and nation-
States, the problem of culture areas, the place of democracy in the
transition of States founded on sacred chiefdoms, the role of
ceremonial exchanges in a market economy, and so forth.

Each chapter presents a society seen from a specific point of view,
but always with reference to the issue of collective identity and its
confrontation with history and change.
(PNG: Ankave, Baruya, Yafar, Sepik region,Sulka (New Britain), Mandak
(New Ireland); Australia; Tuamotu; Tonga, Samoa).
  The collection thus invites the reader to understand how the
inhabitants of these societies seek to affirm both an individual
identity and a sense of belonging to the contemporary world. In doing
so, it informs the reader about the contemporary realities
experienced by the inhabitants of the South Pacific, with a view to
contributing to an intercultural dialogue between the reader and
these inhabitants.

CONTENTS
Preface viii
Foreward ix
Introduction: The cargo will not come… 1
PART ONE
Chapter 1: Aspects and Stages of the Westernisation of a Tribal
Society (Baruya) 27
Maurice Godelier

Chapter 2: ‘My poor border dwellers’ (Yafar 1970–1995) 43
Bernard Juillerat

Chapter 3: Men’s Houses, Other People’s Houses (Sepik region) 63
Philippe Peltier

Chapter 4: Cargo cult or sin cult? A Melanesian rite to better God
(Sulka) 85
Monique Jeudy-Ballini

Chapter 5: Human Sacrifice and Cargo Cult in New Ireland (Madak) 106
Brigitte Derlon

PART TWO
Chapter 6: In Australia, it’s ‘Aboriginal’ with a capital ‘A’ 135
Barbara Glowczewski

Chapter 7: ‘Mipela wan bilas’ (Ankave) 158
Pierre Lemonnier

Chapter 8: Why should everyone have a different name? (Ankave) 182
Pascale Bonnemère

Chapter 9: Of atolls and gardens (Tuamotu) 194
Jean-Michel Chazine

PART THREE
Chapter 10: Food and Wealth (Tonga, Wallis) 207
Françoise Douaire-Marsaudon

Chapter 11: Identity at stake in the present-day Kingdom of Tonga 230
Marie-Claire Bataille and Georges Benguigui

Chapter 12: Culture, nation, society (Samoa) 245
Serge Tcherkézoff

Bibliography 303
Biographies 333