Subject: Re: Electrofishing workshops (boat and backpack)
From: "Justin C. Johnston" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 11 Mar 2009 09:05:29 -0400

Dana,

I'm not sure why you would do such a thing either?  Generally, barriers are used to protect fish and other organisms from inlets to cooling water intake structures.  They have also been employed to prevent migrations of invasive species.  For instance the asian carp has apparently been prevented from entering the great lakes by the installation of an electric weir in the Chicago Sanitary and Ship Canal.  Control of sea lamprey in Great Lakes Tributaries have included electric weirs that allow passage of salmonids and other migratory fish while apparently preventing or reducing migrations of sea lamprey.  The success and/or cost effectiveness of these systems is unclear.  In terms of invasives, it only takes a few to get past and begin reproduction for the entire system to be a failure.  There may be other uses that I am not yet aware of, but to be honest, I can't think of a reason why anyone would attempt to block fish entry or exit into or out of a harbor.  It's doubtful that you will prevent an invasive from entering the system and you would likely hurt the harbor fishery by doing so.  It would seem pointless to install a barrier unless there is some catastrophy awaiting the fish that do enter the harbor that you want to prevent.  Maybe Piper is considering preventing escaped farmed Atlantic Salmon from entering Pacific waters?  In which case I would argue 1) It's too late and 2) They should probably stop farming the fish there and farm native salmonids instead, although the micro-economic implications probably prevent this.  3) It seems to me that they would be much easier to control by simply removing them when they return to spawn with weirs in spawning tributaries and selective removal of the species or maybe even just allowing anglers and commercial fishermen to keep as many atlantics as they want from BC waters.  Just some thoughts.  I'm sure controls are already in place over there by folks much more attuned to the situation than I am.

Cheers,
Justin