Help for ESFO-L Archives

ESFO-L Archives

Subject: last call for Noumea 21-23 October
From: Serge TCHERKEZOFF <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 20 Apr 2009 10:50:56 +0200

Dear Colleagues
this is the third and very last call, for anyone non-French and
working in/about French Pacific Comunities (PolynÚsie Francaise,
Nouvelle CalÚdonie, Wallis et Futuna), in Social Sciences, to express
her.his interest to be invited to the Symposium which will be held in
Noumea, on 21-23 October THIS YEAR 2009, where our non-French
institution colleagues will present the state of art of their
researches and programs in reference to any of the three French
Pacific communities.
The following names dont need to answer, as they already did:
(non significant order: follows my various print out of past messages)
Ian Lilley
Jennifer Kahn
Wonu Weys
Elizabeth Worliczek
Alexander Mawyer
Jacqui Leckie
Paul d'Arcy
Lisa Matisoo-Smith
Jon Fraenkel
Adrian Muckle
Anna Paini
Emilie Dotte
Tate LeFevre
Darrell Tryon
Peter Brown
Kate Riley
AM d'Hauteserre
Nancy Pollock
Rowena Morrison
(other names also answered through other lists or contacts).

We have to finalise the list within few DAYS. Thanks for answering asap.
Best wishes
Serge Tcherkezoff

Dear members of ASAO, ESFO, PSI, PacRoots lists, and of the Committee
Agora2
On some of those lists (Asao and Esfo), I had sent messages end of May
and early June 2007, saying that we are planning a future workshop
that would invite non-French scholars in social sciences who are
working in/about French territories in the Pacific. The goal was to
help identifying what kind of studies in Social Sciences are done
outside France and French territories  about French Pacific
territories. A number of you have expressed their interest at that time.

After long delays of a year and a half, I am able to tell that the
project has been accepted and funded, even if on a rather limited
scale. Given that long delay, allow me to submit again the message
(and to present it to the new lists added now), with more precisions
(dates, funding), and ask you again to let me know if you are
interested and if the timing can fit into your planning. Thanks in
advance for your answer asap. We would like to finalise the listing
NEXT MONTH, early next March.

The workshop will be held in Noumea, in OCTOBER of this year 2009:
21-23 October (Wednesday to Friday).
It will have its own title: something like: Social Sciences in the
French Pacific Territories: a regional contribution, but it is also
named briefly as "Agora 2", because it is the follow up of a symposium
held in Noumea in 2005, called "Agora" (or "Agora-SHS"), which had
gathered governance and social sciences research actors of (mainly)
New Caledonia and identified priorities for future research. These
priorities are large enough to accommodate also many contemporary
discussions concerning French Polynesia and Wallis-et-Futuna.

This call is thus addressed to all who happen to be doing social
sciences research in/about French Territories in the Pacific (N-
CalÚdonie, PolynÚsie Fr., Wallis-et-Futuna)
--on at least one of the themes or sub-themes that had been identified
as priorities in that Livre Blanc  (but additional proposals will be
considered)
and who are:
--non-French scholars
--and also, even if non French, who are not working permanently in
French institutions--mainland or French Pacific Territories.

You would be asked to present briefly your research and to participate
in syntheses.
The idea is to create a data base where French and non French research
on those Territories will be easily accessible to everyone (either in
content--already published materials--, or at least as listing of
names, themes, publications, contact references, etc.), in order to
spot all possible synergies, potentialities for joint programs, etc.

For the funding of the airfare, in addition to the accommodation, one
supplementary condition will be, most certainly, to be from a "Pacific-
based" country. Of course, we know that some non French Oceanists
working on French territories in the Pacific are based far from the
Pacific region and their presence would be very useful. Unfortunately,
the limitations of the funding (both in the regional definition of the
program accorded by the Fonds Pacifique and because of its small
extent) restricts the possibility of opening from the start an
invitation including the funding of air fares for non Pacific based
scholars (but we might be able to support the accommodation---
depending on the number of applicants). Still at this point, whether
you are based or not in the Pacific, let us know if you are
interested. Once priority will be given to the Pacific-based
participants, if extra funding remains available for airfares from
more distant countries, we will of course let you know. If it does not
become possible, and if some of those non Pacific based researchers
have the possibility to be funded by their own European, US etc.
institutions, we would be very happy and grateful for their presence
(and of course all kind of needed official letter of invitation can
then be provided).

We dont know at this stage if we will benefit from any simultaneous
translations. There is no funding secured for it, and it will depend
of the aid we could receive from the SPC. The rule for the moment is
this: those who would be able to make their presentation in French
language are very much asked to do so. I know that a great number of
you do speak French, because of your involvement with people of the
French territories. But presentations in English will be accepted
also. A number of French speaking researchers, from New Caledonia of
course, hopefully also from the two other Territories, and may be from
outside the Pacific, will participate in the discussions. As you are
working on / in French Territories, we know that you will be able to
respond (in English if you prefer) to questions raised in French.

If the main content of this workshop is to have the non French
research being presented, it is self evident that the goal is to see
what kind of synergies are possible between the French and non French
programs. That implies to have also a presentation of the French
research (researchers of the Territories and of mainland). Depending
on the number of the non French presentations, we will have either
detailed or only synthetical presentations of the French research in
the workshop and (hopefully) pre-circulated documents presenting in
more details this research.

We would appreciate very much if those of you, professionals or Ph. D.
students, who are researching in those fields and who are interested
(or who know about colleagues/students working in those fileds) could
send us a message specifying their (or your colleagues'/students')
interest (and some background on your works, publications, etc.).

For those who, from the Asao and Esfo lists, kindly answered me
already in mid 2007: with my apologies, please resend your message
(with update), as I can't garantee to retrieve exhaustively all those
past messages.

Thank you very much in advance,
Serge TCHERKEZOFF