Help for ESFO-L Archives

ESFO-L Archives

Subject: ESfO website and email list issues
From: Jari Kupiainen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 19 Dec 2009 20:08:00 +0200

Dear Friends and Colleagues,

In addition to my conventional note about completion of the ESfO website update, which included updates in the members database and the discussion list, I have a couple of other issues to announce.

In the Copenhagen Conference of December 1996, the European Society for Oceanists nominated me and Dr. Jeff Marck to establish a website and a discussion list for the society. The practical maintenance and development of the website has since been in my hands. The last 13 years as the ESfO webmaster have offered me many rich rewards in diverse forms, in the ESfO conferences and elsewhere. During the years, I have also received much help, support and encouragement from many, both here in Joensuu (students, colleagues, administration) and elsewhere (this means you). Thank you all very much. I truly value this experience.

It is, however, time to retire from the posts of ESfO webmaster and ESfO discussion list moderator. For a number of years already, I have been struggling between the escalating demands of my own university post and the voluntary work as the webmaster, with oftentimes little energy and time left to develop the website in a proper manner. Therefore it will be time to move on. Dr. Tony Crook at the University of St. Andrews has organised a team to design the new ESfO website, and they will announce details of the timetable as soon as they have been set. Dr. Crook will also be the owner of the discussion list from now on. The present website will continue to exist in the web for the time being, and additional updates may still be made by me, if need be - this is a slow retirement.

Also, it may be noted that the Universities of Joensuu and Kuopio will form the new University of Eastern Finland in the beginning of 2010. As one consequence of this process, the universities will change their internet domain names. This will affect the present website's URL address as well. At first, there will be automatic redirecting to new domains. I will let you know more details of this as soon as the new addresses for the websites have been established by the ICT administration. It is also a proper moment to acknowledge the fact, that the University of Joensuu has offered permanent free space to host the ESfO website from its establishment in 1996 until today.

You are also all kindly welcome to visit my photographic exhibition, "Encounters in the Solomon Islands" at the University of Vienna, Department of Cultural and Social Anthropology, 13-26 January, 2010.

With many fond ESfO memories and prospects of more to come, I wish you all my warmest Season's Greetings and Happy New Year 2010!

Jari
Retiring ESfO webmaster
Jari Kupiainen
(Dr., adjunct professor) Principal Lecturer
North Karelia University of Applied Sciences, Centre for Creative Industries
Lšnsikatu 15, 80110 Joensuu, FINLAND
Tel. +358 50 4323989; Fax +358 13 2606991
http://www.pkamk.fi