Help for ESFO-L Archives

ESFO-L Archives

From: Michael French Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 30 Apr 2010 09:55:36 -0400

Good morning, everyone.

John Samar, a Kairiru Islander (where I spend most of my time in PNG, in John's natal village, Kragur) with many years of experience in journalism, public relations, and media in PNG and the Asia-Pacific region, has just published a book called "A Public Relations Manual for Managers in Papua New Guinea" (Wirui Press). It's brand new and I haven't ordered my own copy yet, but I thought it would be of interest to a lot of you. It is, I understand, the first thing of its kind written by a Papua New Guinean and I expect it provides some interesting insights into media and communications issues in the country.

Below you will find the find the informaiton aobut the book John sent me this week. I believe he is also going to make it available on Amazon.com.

Hope thie is all useful to some of you.

Regrds,

Michael

*****************

WEXL PR & Marketing Consultants
P.O. Box 151
BOROKO
Tel: 7653 8138/327 6605
Email: [log in to unmask]

Dear Sir/Madam,

SUBJECT:  A PUBLIC RELATIONS MANUAL FOR MANAGERS IN PNG

I am writing to you to introduce to you my new book on Public Relations that will be off the Press by early next week. As you will appreciate, PNG is a very diverse country of 860 different tribes and languages. As such it creates communication problems amongst the tribes, and also across our diverse country. We believe that such a book will go a long way to bridge the communication gap between managers at all levels both within the public sector and in the private sector, such as the Banks, Airlines, hotels, mining companies, and the supermarket chains.

The handbook is entitled: “A Public Relations Manual for Managers in Papua New Guinea” This is the first guide on public relations ever written by a PNG author. The preface to the book was written and signed by his Excellency, the Governor General, and Grand Chief Sir Paulias Matane.  The book encompasses nearly 30 years of my professional experience both in PNG and overseas in countries such as Thailand, and Spain.  Containing 50 pages, the A5 size book discusses a wide range of issues such as:

Communications, the definition of Public Relations, government public relations, community public relations, financial public relations, crisis public relations, creative public relations, and addresses of Media organizations in Papua New Guinea.

The 50 page book costs K15.00. If you are interested in purchasing several copies, please deposit payments for the number for the books you want into my account number: 6001569510 with Westpac Bank, Waigani branch. Please call the writer on 6753 8138, and 327 6605, or email me at [log in to unmask]  for further details about my book.

Yours sincerely,
John M. Samar
Author

CONTENTS

Preface:		Governor General		4
Introduction: 	Foreword			               5
Chapter 	1 	What is Communication?	6
Chapter 	2	Mis –Communication		7
Chapter	3	What is Public Relations?		11
Chapter 	4	Internal -Employee Relations	14
Chapter 	5	External Public Relations	16
Chapter 	6	Community Public Relations	17
Chapter 	7	Government Public Relations	20
Chapter 	8	Corporate Public Relations	21
Chapter 	9	Financial Public Relations	23
Chapter 	10	Creative Public Relations	25
Chapter 	11	Crisis Public Relations		28
Chapter 	12	Media Relations		35
Chapter 	13	International Public Relations 	38
Chapter 	14	Public Relations Tools		40
Chapter 	15	Public Relations Budgets	41
Chapter 	16	Public Relations Qualifications	42
Chapter 	17	List of Media Organisations	43
		List of Terminology		44
		References			46

About the Author:
John Mier Samar holds a Diploma in Journalism from UPNG, and a Diploma in Marketing from the Institute of Marketing in the UK. He was born in Kragur on Kairiru Island, Wewak in February 1956. He attended school at Awelkon, and Gelem Primary Schools on Umboi Island (Siassi), in the Morobe Province and Kainantu Primary School in the Eastern Highlands Province. In 1970-71 he enrolled at Goroka High School where he completed Forms I and II. From 1972 to 1973, he finished Forms III and IV at St Xaviers High School, Kairiru Island. He enrolled at UPNG in 1974. In 1975 the NBC sponsored him as one of the pioneers to pilot the Diploma in Journalism program at UPNG funded by the New Zealand government. After graduation in early 1976, he worked in the NBC Central newsroom in Port Moresby, and later transferred to Kerema where he spent a year with Radio Gulf.

He commenced with Radio East Sepik in January 1977, and later joined the newly established East Sepik Interim Provincial Government, and worked under then Premier, Fr. Cherubim Dambui, the current auxiliary Bishop of the Archdiocese of Port Moresby.  He joined the PNG Harbours Board prior to a stint as Principal Research Officer for the Ministry of Minerals and Energy, and Commerce. He later joined the Department of Commerce and was awarded a EU scholarship and studied for 3 months in Dublin, Ireland.  In 1982, he joined  Ok Tedi Mining as a Translator and Publicity Officer. In 1984 he applied to the United Nations in New York, and won a job as an Information Officer with the United Nations  office in Bangkok, Thailand where he worked for 3 years. After returning to PNG, John worked as a consultant to Mobil Oil involved in promoting the Mobile Elite Athletic Squad.  The success of the 9th South Pacific Games in 1991 is one of John’s greatest achievements. He promoted the Games throughout PNG as well and throughout the South Pacific including Australia and New Zealand. He also spent a year promoting PNG at Expo’92 in Seville, Spain in 1992.  John has travelled to more than 20 countries around the world and to all the 18 Provinces in PNG.

He has worked as a Promotions and Marketing Manager for Telikom PNG, and has been a consultant to Ok Tedi Mining Limited, and other companies.

He has written a book for Ok Tedi Mining, entitled: “Ok Tedi the Future-Ok Tedi Bai Igo We nau”, and contributed photographs to several books such as Ok Tedi 2400 Hours, PNG El dorado of the South Pacific , and An Atlas  of Urban Centres In The Asia Pacific Region published by the United Nations in 1986.

This is his first book on Public Relations a subject dear to his heart, as he has extensive professional experience both in PNG and overseas for nearly 3 decades. He is currently the Communications Consultant for Vision 2050 with the Department of Prime Minister and NEC.