Subject: Re: underwater cameras for stream work
From: Zeb Hogan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 16 Aug 2012 10:21:23 -0700

 Gary, I have used both the GoPro HD Hero and GoPro HD Hero II and, in my experience, Justin's description of what you'll need is spot on.  The GoPro HD Hero II is better in low light and you'll need a flat port housing, battery backpack, extra battery, and a 32MB memory card.  With this set up you should be able to record 2-3 hours of underwater footage without disturbing the camera.  This set up will work well in clear water to a depth of about 10 feet.  Deeper than that and you may need lights. Please let me know if you hear from others that there is a better camera for this type of work. Best wishes, Zeb HoganAssistant Research ProfessorUniversity of Nevada, Reno

                   The FISH-SCI List Archive