Subject: Re: False balance in news stories about overfishing
From: 王健雄 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 5 Jul 2013 08:13:37 +0000

I  agreed Miller's opinion.

But we know that generally, the species need to adjust themselves to the
changing climate that always be unstable thus lead the unstable population.
Actually, “balance (or equivalent) population” is not available.
 I just wandered what's the meaning of "false balance"?
1. Does it mean that population is always unstable?
2. Or it means that population always trying to adjust the changing climate?
3. Besides, time lag is unavoidable because of the stable of climate
condition is always unavailable.
4. Fishery is only one of the factors that influencing the population size.
It is mainly for exploiting the adult fish. However, Oscillation of population is
mainly determined in the larva and pre-larva stages, not in adult stage.

C.H. Wang    Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC.

從: Scientific forum on fish and fisheries [[log in to unmask]] 代表 David Shiffman [[log in to unmask]]
寄件日期: 2013年7月4日 下午 11:14
至: [log in to unmask]
主旨: False balance in news stories about overfishing

Hello, everyone, and happy 4th of July!

I've written a post about "false balance" (usually associated with climate
change coverage) in news stories covering overfishing. False balance is
when the media gives equal coverage, and therefore the perception of equal
validity, to both sides of a story when both sides aren't equally supported
by facts. In this case, a quote by a commercial fishermen and lobbyist
claiming that hammerhead populations are healthy was inaccurately portrayed
as just as valid as the best available scientific data showing that
populations have been severely depleted.

I welcome your feedback, including pointing out other examples of such
false balance.

http://www.southernfriedscience.com/?p=15088

Thank you!

Sincerely,

--

*David Shiffman*
*Ph.D. Student, Research Assistant,*

[image: RJD]

*e: *[log in to unmask] | *p: *412.915.2309
*a: *4600 Rickenbacker Cswy, Miami, Florida, 33149
*t: *@WhySharksMatter <http://twitter.com/#!/WhySharksMatter> | *b: *Southern
Fried Science Blog <http://www.southernfriedscience.com/>

                   The FISH-SCI List Archive