Subject: Job Opertunity in South Georgia
From: Paul Brickle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 1 Jul 2013 21:03:06 +0000

Dear All,
I would be very grateful if you would circulate this as widely as possible. This is a varied and interesting post that includes licencing, inspecting and compiling biological and catch and effort reports for fishing vessels operating in South Georgia's fisheries.
Many thanks, Paul.

Government Officer at King Edward Point, South Georgia

The Government of South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands is seeking a Government Officer  who will be responsible to the Office of the Commissioner for the administration of Government duties at King Edward Point on South Georgia.

Duties will include Harbour administration, licensing and inspections of fishing vessels, compilation of fisheries and Government reports, local management of visitors, including briefings and monitoring of biosecurity protocols, post office duties and other Government duties as required.

A total of 3 Government Officers will rotate duties. Each officer shall undertake one continuous 8-month tour of duty on South Georgia per annum, with two officers permanently on duty at any one time. The post involves periods of on-call duty. Officers are entitled to 120 days leave per annum, 10 days of which should be taken locally on South Georgia (leave to commence and finish on 'departure from' and 'arrival in' the Falkland Islands). Marine administrative experience and knowledge of fisheries and tourism in South Georgia or other remote regions would be an advantageous. Officers must be responsible and able to work independently with confidence, sometimes in demanding conditions. The post involves long periods of duty on a remote sub-Antarctic island. A positive mental attitude and enthusiastic approach to the duties are important attributes. Officers will be required to undertake inshore boat transfers in variable conditions and must be physically fit. Successful applicants will be required to pass a statuary medical examination.

Salary will be in the range of 25,000 to 33,000 depending on experience. On completion of each year of service a gratuity of 20% of earnings will be paid. Officers are accommodated in comfortable fully furnished accommodation, with a generous benefit in kind package, covering all living expenses and consumables. South Georgia earnings are taxed at 7%. Annual travel costs will be paid for
officers to travel to and from home for leave. Spouses or partners may accompany Government Officers in a support role and their travel costs will be covered, but they will be required to pass a medical examination. Whilst on South Georgia they will be required to make a daily contribution to cover living costs and will be expected to assist the Government Officer with representative duties as necessary.

The successful applicant will be expected to take up the post in early November and will spend the period from mid-November until mid-July on South Georgia. Application forms are available on the GSGSSI website (www.sgisland.gs). Applications should be submitted to the Chief Executive ( [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>) by 12th July 2013.

Dr Paul Brickle
Director, South Atlantic Environmental Research Institute
Stanley, Falkland Islands.
W: http://www.south-atlantic-research.org/
T:    +500 27374; M: +500 54542