Subject: PhD Position - UK and the South Atlantic
From: Paul Brickle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 14 Aug 2013 17:10:48 +0000

Dear All,
I would be grateful if you would circulate this as widely as possible.
Best, Paul.
Predicting recruitment variability in toothfish around South Georgia<http://www.findaphd.com/search/ProjectDetails.aspx?PJID=46461&LID=12>

Institution: Aberdeen University

Dept/School/Faculty: School of Biological Sciences

PhD Supervisors: Dr C T Marshall (University of Aberdeen), Dr B E Scott (University of Aberdeen), Dr P Brickle (South Atlantic Environmental Research Institute; University of Aberdeen)

Application Deadline: 06 September 2013

The Patagonian toothfish (Dissostichus eleginoides) is a large predatory demersal fish endemic to the Southern hemisphere. It supports a valuable commercial fishery centred in South Georgia. Relatively little is known about what makes ideal breeding conditions although there are indications that environmental factors play a key role. An improved understanding of the mechanisms driving recruitment variability is needed to forecast years of good or poor recruitment. The aim of this studentship is to generate knowledge essential to understanding variability in the recruitment of toothfish in South Georgia and use this to develop a predictive model. Time series describing sea surface temperature, abundance and physiological condition of spawners are among the datasets available.

Specific objectives include:
1.Examination of inter- and intra-annual spawning dynamics in the fishery over time in relation to bathymetric current and environmental data factors
2. Establishing a robust index of skipped spawning in toothfish around South Georgia
3. Examine determinate of inter-annual body condition and implications to spawning success
4.Using particle tracking models to examine inter-annual recruitment distribution around South Georgia and Shag Rocks
5.Integrate knowledge to predict recruitment in the South Georgia fishery

This studentship is a collaboration between the University of Aberdeen, the South Atlantic Environmental Research Institute (SAERI), the British Antarctic Survey (BAS), Centre for Environment, Fisheries & Aquaculture Science (CEFAS), Georgia Seafoods Ltd. and the Government of South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands (GSGSSI). The project allows for development of a wide range of transferable skills relevant to fish biology and fisheries management. Applicants should highlight skills relevant to fish biology, fisheries science and quantitative analysis of environmental and ecological data.

Applications should include a covering letter, a CV and the names and contact details of two academic referees.

Funding Notes:
Applicants must have obtained, or be about to obtain, a minimum of an upper second class UK honours degree, or the equivalent qualifications gained outside the UK.

Funding is available to UK and other EU nationals only (due to funding criteria, EU nationals MUST have resided in the UK for three years prior to commencing the studentship) and provides funding for tuition fees and stipend, subject to eligibility.

You should apply for Degree of Doctor of Philosophy in Ecology, to ensure that your application is passed to the correct College for processing.

Enquiries should be made to [log in to unmask]