Subject: postdoctoral researcher - urban aquatic/terrestrial connectivity
From: Chris Harrod <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 17 Aug 2013 11:05:39 -0400

Postdoctoral researcher in aquatic/terrestrial connectivity and road
crossings

We seek a postdoctoral researcher to join a collaborative project on road
crossings in urban environments.    Road crossings (bridges, culverts) are
known to impact aquatic and terrestrial systems as a result of various
factors.   The postdoctoral researcher will join a research team at the
University of Toronto (Canada) and the Toronto and Region Conservation
Authority (http://trca.on.ca/) working to develop (i) landscape context
sensitive decision making and (ii) integrate cumulative effects of existing
and planned road networks and land use into the decision support tool. This
work will ensure that the most relevant ecosystem functions are being
managed at an appropriate spatial scale and level of effort, given the
gradient in the character of landscape (e.g. urban, peri-urban, and rural).
The postdoc will determine important ecological indicator species and/or
functions and characteristics (e.g. habitat quality or connectivity) to
characterize impacts due to proposed road crossings, integrate them into
existing models, assess the impacts of cumulative effects, and transfer this
knowledge to external partners.  Strong quantitative skills are necessary.
Prior experience in GIS, aquatic and/or terrestrial ecology, interest in
landscape/riverscape connectivity, and good communication skills are
desirable.

Funding is at an NSERC post-doctoral researcher level and for 18 months.
Due to funding requirements we require the post-doctoral researcher to join
our group no later than Nov 1, 2013.

Please send your CV, contact information for three references, and a letter
indicating your interest that clearly articulates how this work will build
on your existing research experience, specific skills and your date of
availability.  Please email this information by September 16, 2013 to both:
Marie-Josee Fortin
([log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>;
http://labs.eeb.utoronto.ca/fortin/) and Donald Jackson
([log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>;
http://jackson.eeb.utoronto.ca/).

                   The FISH-SCI List Archive