Subject: Re: "Spam" and blog links, feedback requested
From: Peter Hagen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 2 Aug 2013 10:26:56 -0800

Dear list-members
   If there is sufficient interest, we do have the capabilities to set
up a "Topic sub-list" that members could selectively subscribe or
unsubscribe to.   Long time members may recall that we had used that for
distribution of  the weekly CRS (Congressional Research Service) fish
news summaries  back in the days when that was considered a public document.
  Doing so would only be warranted  if there is sufficient interest in
filter messages that way and because this is an un-moderated list    it
will  require  posters such as David Shiffman to make use of keywords in
the subject line.
  This list does not have a high volume of messages, and deleting
message is easy enough to do,  but if this is something  you would like
to see, as opposed to having a prolonged discussion on the list itself
please direct your response to [log in to unmask]  ( or
by  replying  to this message) , and your list administrators (Chris
Harrod, myself and Steve Gutreuter )  will make a decision if it is
worth the trouble to  institute the changes.

Thanks

-Pete Hagen
  list-co administrator

(note this is email does not represent an official position of NOAA, and
this list itself has no affiliation with NOAA or any other institution)

On 8/2/2013 9:10 AM, David Shiffman wrote:
>> <>  ><>  ><>  ><>  ><>  ><>  ><>  ><>  ><>  ><>  ><>  ><>  ><>
>             REPLIES WILL BE SENT TO THE FISH-SCI LIST
> <><  <><  <><  <><  <><  <><  <><  <><  <><  <><  <><  <><  <><
>
> Hello, Fish-Sci!

> complained that I was "spamming". As a marine biology graduate student who
> dedicates his free time to educating the public about the ocean through an
> international award-winning science blog, I was only attempting to share
> topical content that I thought would be of interest to this community. In
> the past I've received many (off-list) e-mails complimenting my writing and
> thanking me for sharing it, and there were also several on-list replies
> stating that people appreciate having the links sent here.
>
> However, I have no interest in starting a fight. If list moderators/admins
> or a majority of list members would prefer that I not include Fish-Sci on
> my distribution list for new blog posts about marine biology and fisheries,
> I'm happy to not send messages here.
>
> Please let me know. Thank you, and have a great weekend. Happy Shark Week!
>
> Sincerely,

                   The FISH-SCI List Archive