The first year of this position if funded to work on two seagrass projects then the direction of research and teaching will be determined by the individual.
NORTHWEST INDIAN COLLEGE
2522 Kwina Rd.
Bellingham, WA 98226
Phone: (360) 676-2772
NICMERE Associate Director– F/T
National Indian Center for Marine Environmental Research & Education
OPENING DATE: October 29, 2013 CLOSING DATE: November 29, 2013
START DATE: January 1, 2014 REVIEW DATE: December 6, 2013
JOB TITLE: NICMERE Associate Director– F/T LOCATION: NWIC Main Campus
SALARY: Administrative Salary Schedule – DOE SUPERVISOR: NICMERE Director
SCOPE OF WORK
This position is primarily responsible for implementing the vision of NICMERE and the Salish Sea Research Center as a renowned research center that promotes development of NWIC students as Indigenous scholars. The NICMERE Associate Director will develop new research programs and obtain the funding to sustain those programs and this position. This position will also carry administrative and teaching responsibilities. The Associate Director is expected to spend their effort roughly as follows: 50% grant funded research, 25% administrative, 25% teaching. This position will be sustained through competitive awards that the Associate Director is expected to generate. Working with the NICMERE Director and science faculty the Associate Director will maximize Tribal College specific awards (e.g. NIFA) and develop partnerships for open competition awards.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED to perform this position successfully:
• M.S. in Fisheries Science, Environmental Science Biology, Chemistry, Geography or a related discipline
• Two years experience conducting scientific research
• Experience writing research articles that are published in scientific journals
• Experience with writing grant proposals and managing grant-funded projects
• Broad interests in the environmental sciences and ecology
• Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
• Strong interpersonal skills.
• Doctorate in Environmental Science, Biology, Chemistry, Geography or a related discipline
• Experience working with Tribal organizations on environmental issues;
• Experience working in Native American communities;
• Experience implementing and/or administering research projects and facilities; or
• Any combination of the above that the initial screening committee deems appropriate.