Subject: [Job]Position in Field Ecology at Queen's University
From: Chris Harrod <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 10 Dec 2013 03:50:00 +0000

TIER 2 CANADA RESEARCH CHAIR IN FIELD ECOLOGY Queen's University

The Department of Biology at Queen's University is looking for an exceptional scholar in field ecology who will develop a vigorous research program based at the Queen's University Biological Station (QUBS, http://queensu.ca/qubs/) as Tier 2 Canada Research Chair.  QUBS has more than 3300 hectares (8300 acres) of mixed deciduous forest, recovering farmland and freshwater habitats with rich diversity of animals and plants.  In addition to opportunities to work in natural habitats, there are land and facilities for manipulative ecological experiments. Land holdings provide exclusive access to several lakes and a diversity of wetlands. Many of the lakes within and around QUBS properties, including parts of the Rideau Waterway, support active sport fisheries and some are undergoing rapid environmental change through human development and invasion of non-indigenous species. QUBS includes two main bases of operation, Lake Opinicon and Elbow Lake, each with excellent facilities and accommodations located ~ 50 km north of our main campus in Kingston. The Department is home to an active ecology & evolution group, with particular expertise in evolutionary and population genetics, behavioural ecology, experimental evolution, limnology and community ecology.

We are looking for an individual with a strong record of research in field-based ecology working with any taxa at any level of organization (from integrative biology of individuals through populations, communities and ecosystems). Research areas we are particularly interested in include (but are not limited to) responses of organisms, communities and ecosystems to anthropogenic change (including biological invasions and climate change), range limits in changing environments, plant-animal interactions, and ecosystem/community/population processes at the land-water interface.

The successful candidate will be appointed as Tier 2 Canada Research Chair in Field Ecology at the rank of Assistant or Associate Professor. The candidate will be required to work with the Department and the University Research Services to prepare the formal CRC nomination; the appointment will be subject to final approval by the Canada Research Chair Secretariat. Eligibility criteria and CRC Program information can be found at the following website: http://www.chairs-chaires.gc.ca. Applicants must have obtained their Ph.D. within the last 10 years and have post-doctoral experience. The successful candidate will develop a strong research program supported by diverse funding and contribute to training at the graduate and undergraduate levels in lecture, lab and the field.

Review of applications will begin 13 December 2013 and will continue until the position is filled; the
expected date of appointment is 1 July 2015.   Please visit the departmental website
(http://www.queensu.ca/biology) for application information. The University invites applications from all qualified individuals.

Queen's is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, visible minorities, Aboriginal people, persons with disabilities and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply: however in accordance with Canadian Immigration requirements, Canadian citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada will be given priority.

Academic staff at Queen's University are governed by a Collective Agreement between the Queen's University Faculty Association (QUFA) and the University.
http://www.queensu.ca/provost/faculty/facultyrelations/qufa/collectiveagreement.html.

                   The FISH-SCI List Archive