Subject: M.S. or Ph.D. - Fish Behavior and Invasive Species Management
From: Michael Wagner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 2 Dec 2013 11:10:20 -0500

We are seeking an enthusiastic, self-motivated, and team-oriented student to
apply for a position to investigate chemical alarm-signaling in the sea
lamprey, an invasive species in the Laurentian Great Lakes.  This project is
part of an on-going effort to discover how sea lamprey utilize chemical
signals to achieve a long-distance nocturnal migration prior to
reproduction. The position will begin as early as January 2014; a later
start date can be negotiated for exceptional candidates. The main project
goals are:  1) to conduct field-based studies to investigate sea lamprey
habitat selection tendencies when confronted with contrasting/conflicting
chemical information during the annual reproductive migration (pheromones
vs. alarm cues); 2) to translate that understanding into novel control
tactics for use in sea lamprey control efforts (e.g., Push-Pull pest
management). The student will be under the supervision of Dr. Michael Wagner
at Michigan State University, but will regularly interact with scientists
and collaborators in U.S. and Canadian federal agencies (U.S. Fish and
Wildlife Service, U.S. Geological Survey, Dept. of Fisheries and Oceans -
Canada) and an international commission (Great Lakes Fishery Commission).
All candidates must have an undergraduate degree in Biology, Ecology,
Zoology, Animal Behavior, Aquatic Science, or a related field. Highly
competitive candidates will have high overall GPA (especially in related
courses) and GRE scores. Experience working in streams or other aquatic
ecosystems and field/lab experience with fishes and related experimental
equipment (e.g., tanks, flumes, etc.) will be assets. The candidate must
also possess a strong work ethic, be physically able to work for 2-3 months
in stream systems in northern Michigan, independently lead field research
activities and guide technicians, and interact effectively with professional
staff of cooperating federal agencies.  Candidates should clearly articulate
how this research will build on your existing experience, how your specific
skills meet the project requirements, and your date of availability.
Candidates interested in this position should send an email to Dr. Michael
Wagner ([log in to unmask]) with a cover letter identifying research interests,
CV, transcripts (unofficial accepted), and a list of three references.

C. Michael Wagner

Associate Professor

Michigan State University

http://www.fw.msu.edu/~mwagner/