Subject: Two Exciting Job Oppertunities in the Falkland Islands
From: Paul Brickle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 23 Dec 2013 13:12:30 +0000

Dear All,
I would be very grateful if you would circulate these job vacancies as widely as possible.
Merry Christmas,  Paul.

Dr Paul Brickle
Director, South Atlantic Environmental Research Institute
Stanley, Falkland Islands.
W: http://www.south-atlantic-research.org/
T:    +500 27374; M: +500 54542

Project Manager - Marine Ecologist (Benthic, oceanography, fisheries, data)
This position will co-ordinate priority gap work identified by the Falkland Islands Offshore Hydrocarbons Environmental Forum (FIOHEF) with regard to benthic ecology, oceanography, and fisheries. The primary objective of this position is data collation and curation so that they can be used more efficiently in future EIAs.
Organisations operating in the Falkland Islands have collected large amounts of information over the last twenty years and this includes oceanographic, metocean, seismic, benthic fauna, benthic environmental, multi-beam and RoV footage etc. Much of these data are held at different locations and the fate/location of some remains unknown. In order for these data to be used a strategy for data storage, quality control and curation is essential.
The position will be based in the South Atlantic Environmental Research Institute's (SAERI) head office in Stanley. The Marine Ecologist (Higher Predators) Project Officer will report to the Director and the project's performance will be monitored by a Project Oversight Committee comprising representatives from Falkland Islands Government, Falkland Islands Petroleum Licensees Association, and Offshore Hydrocarbons Environmental Forum.
SAERI's objective is to be a world class academic institute, based in the Falkland Islands, operating in the South Atlantic from the equator down to the ice in Antarctica. It aims to conduct world class research, teach students, and build capacity within and between the UK South Atlantic Overseas Territories (UK OTs). The institute's remit includes the natural and physical sciences. Its mission is to advance environmental understanding in the South Atlantic through research excellence and innovative scientific leadership (www.south-atlantic-research.org<http://www.south-atlantic-research.org>).
The post is for a period of two years.
Applicants should have a PhD in Marine Benthic Ecology or equivalent subject and at least 5 years post graduate experience working in marine ecology.
The package
*             Basic salary starts from 33,003 per annum depending on qualifications and experience
*             Airfares for the post holder at the beginning and end of contract, as well as mid-contract return flights
*             Favourable income tax rates
For more information, a detailed job description and application form, please contact the Recruitment Officer, Falkland House, 14 Broadway, Westminster, London SW1H OBH Email: [log in to unmask] Tel: 020 7222 2542 or Fax: 020 7222 2375. Contact Dr Paul Brickle ([log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>) for job specific detail.
Application forms should be returned to Falkland House at the latest by noon 27/01/2014.

Project Manager - Marine Ecologist (Higher Predators)
This position will co-ordinate priority gap work identified by the Falkland Islands Offshore Hydrocarbons Environmental Forum (FIOHEF) with regard to higher marine predators and the exploration and development of hydrocarbons in the Falkland islands.
Seabirds and marine mammals, particularly seabirds, are amongst the most susceptible group in relation to potential oil spill contamination, and oil spill events have frequently been recorded as having population-level impacts. There are a range of species/populations that are vulnerable to oil contamination in the Falkland Islands; penguins are particularly susceptible given their diving behaviour, and the Falklands supports large numbers of albatross (and significant proportions of global populations for a number of species).
[...]
Applicants should have a PhD in Marine Ecology or equivalent subject and at least 5 years post graduate experience working in marine higher predator ecology (seabirds or mammals).