Subject: [PG] PhD scholarship opportunities on climate change effects on Australian marine fishes and ecosystems
From: Chris Harrod <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 9 Apr 2014 01:22:21 +0000

Apologies for x-posting

PhD scholarship opportunities on climate change effects on Australian marine fishes and ecosystems

Funding has been obtained (through an ARC Future Fellowship) to study the effects of global change on marine fishes and ecosystems and I am seeking excellent students to participate in various associated projects. Global change stressors such as warming and acidification of the oceans are predicted to have dramatic impacts on the health, abundance, and distribution of fish species worldwide. We are only beginning to understand how multiple stressors interactively affect the physiology and behaviour of fishes during different stages of their life cycle. The degree to which fishes adapt to or tolerate changing conditions will determine their persistence in their original habitats as well as their ability to extend their ranges to novel habitats or higher latitudes. The research will focus on providing an understanding of how ocean warming and acidification will affect the behaviour and physiology of fish species, how this could modify population dynamics and species community structuring, and what the implications are for the biodiversity, functioning, and resilience of marine ecosystems in the near future.

Research funding is available to support several PhD projects but candidates need to obtain a scholarship to cover their tuition and living expenses. International candidates can apply for an IPRS or ASI scholarship through the University of Adelaide (next deadline: 31 May
2014) while domestic candidates (Australian and New Zealand citizens and Permanent Residents of Australia) can apply for an Australian Postgraduate Award (www.adelaide.edu.au/graduatecentre/scholarships/postgrad/pgresearch).
Applicants with funding from other sources are also welcome to apply.
Excellent candidates will be invited to apply for these competitive scholarships. Successful international applicants will typically have at least 1 article as lead author in a reputable peer-reviewed journal (with high ISI impact factor) and at least 1 co-authored paper. Other requirements are high B.Sc./M.Sc. grades, excellent writing skills, superb referee reports, relevant research experience, and being able to operate successfully in a team. Applicants should be native English speakers or show recent evidence of English language proficiency (e.g. TOEFFL, IELTS).

The University of Adelaide is a research-intensive university, and one of Australia's top eight Universities. The School of Earth and Environmental Sciences has strong expertise across the disciplines of marine ecology and global change biology (www.marinebiology.adelaide.edu.au). Successful candidates will join a dynamic group of students and academics working on climate change at the School of Earth and Environmental Sciences (Faculty of Sciences). They will perform research leading to a Doctoral degree in Marine Biology.

To apply: Send your cover letter, CV, list of publications, referee reports, and M.Sc. transcript (grades + courses followed) to Assoc. Prof Ivan Nagelkerken ([log in to unmask]) before 5 May 2014.
Applications will also be considered after this date for the next rounds of scholarships later this year.

                   The FISH-SCI List Archive