Subject: PhD on “Fish replenishment on NW Australian reefs”
From: Monica Gagliano <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 1 Apr 2014 20:51:40 -0700

Our
research group has received funding to investigate the

Dear all,

Our
research group has received funding to investigate the structure and dynamics
of fish recruitment processes in NW Australia. We are seeking a motivated and
enthusiastic student for this research project which will be administered by
the University of Western Australia (UWA) via the Oceans Institute and the
Australian Institute of Marine Science.

Critical
to marine ecosystem processes and current indigenous food security and
management plans, stable fish populations represent a fundamental part of
marine biodiversity and food webs by linking the very bottom of aquatic food
chains (i.e. primary productivity) right through to consumption by humans. Currently,
we know next to nothing about what, where, when and how fish replenishment
processes operate in the NW Australian marine region. The candidate will
develop a project that advances our understanding of global patterns and local
dynamics of tropical fish replenishment with an emphasis on 1) ecologically
important species, and 2) species of indigenous significance. The project
provides an exciting and balanced mixture of laboratory and field work
components in the Kimberley, Pilbara and Ningaloo Reef areas which directly
relate to ecology, conservation and indigenous issues. There is also
significant room to develop their own directions and research interests within
this area of science.

The
candidate for this project will be based at the Australian Institute of Marine
Science in Perth located at the Oceans Institute at the University of Western
Australia, where he/she will work as part of a diverse team of researchers and post-graduate
students. A strong academic record, quantitative statistical skills and some experience
in field marine ecology will be necessary for the project. Candidates with
skills and experience matching the proposed work will be favoured (e.g.
experience in fish biology/ecology, fieldwork). Applicants must have excellent
spoken and written English skills. Preference will also be given to those who
have recently achieved Honours 1 or equivalent, or Masters or equivalent with
at least one publication in an internationally peer-reviewed journal.
Australian
and New Zealand candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for an Australian
Postgraduate Award (APA) stipend through UWA ($28,892pa tax-free). APA
applications close on the 11/07/2014 at 5pm with a preferred commencement date
soon after although this is negotiable. For successful APA applicants, this
amount will be supplemented with a generous top-up through this funding scheme
(~$10,000pa tax-free) and secured associated research funding (~$15,000pa).
International candidates are also welcome; they would need to fulfil all
requirements for admission into the UWA PhD Program and apply for and secure an
International Postgraduate Research Scholarship (IPRS). The above top-up and
research funding also applies to international candidates. Please visit the UWA
Scholarships web page for more information (http://www.scholarships.uwa.edu.au).

Prospective
candidates should send a CV with two referee contacts and cover letter, briefly
outlining their motivations for pursuing PhD research and interests in this
project initially via email to Martial, Monica and Tim by 6th June.

Contacts:
Dr Martial Depczynski ([log in to unmask])
Dr Monica Gagliano ([log in to unmask])
Dr Tim Langlois ([log in to unmask])

                   The FISH-SCI List Archive