Subject: [Job] Postdoc.Zurich.EvolutionaryEcology
From: Chris Harrod <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 23 Jul 2014 14:19:58 +0000

A not totally fishy, but nice postdoc going in Blake Matthew's group in Switzerland:

Eawag and the Department of Aquatic Ecology seeks to recruit a : Postdoc in evolutionary ecology of aquatic ecosystems

Eawag, the Swiss Federal Institute of Aquatic Science and Technology, is a Swiss-based and internationally networked aquatic research institute within the ETH domain (Swiss Federal Institutes of Science and Technology). It is committed to the ecologically, economically and socially responsible management of water resources and aquatic ecosystems.

The Postdoc will be funded by a Swiss National Science Foundation grant, entitled "The eco-evolutionary dynamics of community assembly in aquatic ecosystems". The aim of the project is to understand how ecological and evolutionary processes jointly drive community assembly in aquatic ecosystems. The project involves a combination large-scale experiments that manipulate the ecological and evolutionary diversity of food webs under contrasting environmental conditions, as well as the analysis of existing long-term datasets of plankton biodiversity dynamics in freshwater lakes.
The project is broadly focused on aquatic food webs, including microbial, phytoplankton, zooplankton, and fish communities. Ultimately, the research addresses fundamental links between the ecology and evolution of food webs and the physical environment and biogeochemistry of ecosystems.

We are looking for candidates with strong analytical abilities and a broad interest in ecology, evolution, and/or ecosystem science. It would be an asset to have experience with one or more of the following: analysis of large biodiversity datasets, community phylogenetics, molecular ecology, next generation sequencing.

We offer a stimulating and international research environment, excellent research facilities and a lively and social working place. Eawag's Center for Ecology, Evolution & Biogeochemistry (CEEB) is located in Kastanienbaum LU on the shore of Lake Lucerne and is a strong nucleus of Eawag research groups aimed at integrating evolutionary biology, community ecology, and ecosystem science http://www.eawag.ch/forschung/cc/ceeb/index_EN. The postdoc will interact with a diverse range of researchers studying community ecology, evolutionary biology, ecological genetics, ecosystem science, and applied environmental science. The project will also involve collaborations between researchers at Eawag (Dr. Blake Matthews, Dr. Helmut Bürgmann) and the University of Geneva (Dr. Bas Ibelings).

The starting date for the Postdoc is flexible, but a starting date in 2014 or early 2015 is preferred. The position is for between 2-3 years.
Applications should include a cover letter, a curriculum vita, and three references. Copies of 3-5 prior publications will also be considered if made available via PDF. Applications must be submitted by 15 August 2014.

For further information, consult
http://homepages.eawag.ch/~matthebl/Welcome.html or directly contact Dr.
Blake Matthews: Tel: +41 58 765 2120, E-mail: [log in to unmask]

We look forward to receiving your application through this webpage, any other way of applying will not be considered. Please click on the link below, this will take you directly to the application form.
http://internet1.refline.ch/673277/0298/++publications++/1/index.html

                   The FISH-SCI List Archive