Subject: [Job] Deputy Team Leader - Aquarium - Zoological Society of London (ZSL), UK
From: Chris Harrod <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 24 Mar 2015 17:36:48 +0000

(Via Pete Liptrot)

Deputy Team Leader - Aquarium
ZSL London Zoo - Regents Park
Up to 30,198 depending on experience

Paid * Full Time * Permanent

www.zsl.org [log in to unmask] 02074496253 Aaron Thomas

Sectors: marine conservation, ecology, conservation & wildlife

Closing date: Friday, 03 April 2015

About Us:

The Zoological Society of London (ZSL), a charity founded in 1826, is a world-renowned centre of excellence for conservation science and applied conservation. ZSL's mission is to promote and achieve the worldwide conservation of animals and their habitats. This is realised by carrying out field conservation and research in over 50 countries across the globe and through education and awareness-raising at our two zoos, ZSL London Zoo and ZSL Whipsnade Zoo, inspiring people to take conservation action.

Overview of Role:

An opening has arisen for a Deputy Team Leader in the Aquarium at ZSL London Zoo. This position will include deputising for the Aquarium Team Leader in their absence to ensure the smooth operation of the section as well as being directly involved in the day to day operation of the Aquarium section.

The Deputy Team Leader will assist the Team Leader in all aspects of their work, primarily with staff management and the care of the animals in the section. The Aquarium comprises of three halls in a Grade II listed structure, containing a diverse collection of aquatic organisms including fish, turtles and invertebrates as well as a substantial coral collection. The Deputy Team Leader will require familiarity with the species in the collection and a strong knowledge of current public aquarium management techniques. The position will require daily working on section in one of the halls but will need to develop an understanding of the operation of the entire building.

The successful candidate will:

    Be able to demonstrate a keen understanding of aquatic life and habitats (Including fish and aquatic invertebrate husbandry and health in particular marine and freshwater organisms, life support system management, water quality analysis, record keeping using ZIMS, exhibit theming and upkeep, as well as leadership and clear communication.
    Have strong attention to detail and the ability to clearly convey instruction.
    Have an understanding of fish breeding, LSS installation and good familiarity with external zoo associations such as BIAZA and EAZA.
    Able to use Microsoft software including Outlook, Excel and Word
    * Have a qualification in a relevant field at university level and/or diploma in the DZMAA Keeper's course or equivalent work experience.
    Current or previous staff management experience would be advantageous.
    Be reliable and have good time-keeping and attendance record and able to demonstrate leadership and professionalism.

Please note: Flexible working is required for this position which will include working alternate weekends and bank holidays.

To Apply:

Applicants should send their completed Equality of Opportunity Monitoring Form and ZSL Application Form, by email to ZSL's HR Department ([log in to unmask]). We regret that we will only be able to contact applicants who have been selected for interview.

Closing date for applications will be at midnight on the 3rd April 2015.

http://www.environmentjob.co.uk/adverts/54073-deputy-team-leader-aquarium

><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><>
Professor Chris Harrod
(Fish & Aquatic Ecology)

Twitter: @chris_harrod
www.harrodlab.net<http://www.harrodlab.net/>
HarrodLab: Fish and Stable Isotope Ecology Laboratory
Instituto de Ciencias Naturales Alexander von Humboldt,
Universidad de Antofagasta,
Avenida Angamos 601, Antofagasta, Chile
Chile Mobile: +56 9 7399 7792
Chile Office: +56 55 2637400