Subject: Postdoc position in stickleback eco-evo-devo
From: Neil Metcalfe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 22 Apr 2016 16:07:42 +0000

Postdoc position in stickleback eco-evo-devo

We are seeking a postdoctoral scientist to join with a project entitled 'The predictability and limits of evolution in response to increased temperature: insights from a natural 'experiment'', funded as a major initiative from the Natural Environment Research Council (NERC) to Kevin J. Parsons, Neil B. Metcalfe, Jan Lindström and Shaun S. Killen. The conceptual focus of the PI is centred on an emerging eco-evo-devo view, while the overall aim of this integrative project will be to examine the genetic, epigenetic, morphological, physiological, behavioural and developmental changes that occur in response to temperature, using freshwater populations of stickleback fish that inhabit natural geothermally heated water bodies.

You will have or be near to completing a relevant PhD and be the main person in charge of executing lab experiments, conducting physiological, behavioural and morphological assays, and taking growth measurements on populations of three-spined sticklebacks derived from contrasting thermal origins. Interest and experience with questions surrounding phenotypic plasticity would be an asset, while experience with aspects of developmental biology would also be desirable but not necessary. As part of a team funded by this NERC grant, you will work closely with another postdoctoral scientist who will focus on molecular genetic analyses, and a full-time technician who will aid in the running of the fish experiments and in maintaining the breeding programme.

Passion for research, team spirit and enthusiasm are essential. Our team is multidisciplinary with additional major projects funded by the European Research Council (ERC) and NERC. Additional PhD student projects in the lab of the PI involve collaborations with engineers, statisticians, and physicists demonstrating how the University of Glasgow is a highly active and collaborative research environment.

Informal inquiries should be made to: [log in to unmask]

For further details including application process go to:
http://www.gla.ac.uk/about/jobs/vacancies/ and search using reference number 013068

                   The FISH-SCI List Archive