Subject: [Job] Technician position: Coastal Everglades fish ecology & recreational fisheries - xpost
From: Chris Harrod <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 22 Jul 2016 13:47:33 +0000

Full time technician available at FIU, Miami: Everglades coastal fishes & recreational fisheries

Desired start date: September 1, 2016

Duration:        1 year

(Likely extendable & possibility for turning position into a graduate degree if desired).

Salary:            $30,000-$35,000/year depending on qualifications

Location:        Rehage lab, http://myweb.fiu.edu/rehagej/

Earth & Environment Department

Southeast Environmental Research Center

Florida Coastal Everglades Long Term Ecological Research program (http://fcelter.fiu.edu/).

Florida International University, Miami, FL

About this position:  We seek a motivated technician with a passion for fish and recreational fisheries to help us sample in several fish studies in the coastal Everglades and Florida Bay. Primary duties include coordinating and executing field activities involving: 1) acoustic telemetry (Vemco) to track recreational fish (e.g., snook, tarpon, largemouth bass) movement and habitat use in response to environmental/hydrological drivers, 2) seining to examine nursery and prey dynamics, and 3) boat electrofishing, 4) snorkeling visual surveys and 5) BRUVs (Baited Remote Underwater Video Stations) to examine fish community dynamics and recreational fisheries in coastal mangrove habitats, and 6) angling and working with anglers and fishing guides to participate in data collection.

Required qualifications:

  *   Passion for fish ecology and recreational fisheries, coastal habitats, and scientific inquiry and desire to join a productive and collaborative research team.
  *   Excellent boating skills and extensive experience boating (ability to operate small motor boats is a must).
  *   Extensive experience with fish sampling methods, angling, and fish ecology/fisheries field work.
  *   Excellent leadership, communication & organization skills to organize and lead field activities with our lab and project partners.
  *   Strong lab skills to conduct sample processing, data management, equipment maintenance, and assist with data analysis.
  *   Ability and willingness to work independently in arduous conditions in the field for long hours and at times involving backcountry camping while sampling.

 To apply:  Please email Dr. Jenn Rehage ([log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>) and please include the following materials: a) In your email, please tell us about yourself, research experience/interests, qualifications and why you are a good fit for this position.

                 b) Please attach a CV with a list of 3 references.

                 c) Please title email 'Everglades fisheries technician position + your last name

Priority consideration will be given to applications received by Aug 15, 2016.

About our lab: We are an energetic team of fish ecologists interested in understanding how fishes respond to human and natural disturbance, and how these effects permeate through multiple ecological scales (from individual behavior to population and community dynamics and to human dimensions, such as implications for recreational fisheries). We are part of a highly collaborative south Florida research community, composed of scientists, and federal, state and private partners, all with the shared goal of understanding and forecasting coastal ecosystem resilience and responses to large-scale restoration efforts and climate change, and for us, our focus is on fish and the recreational fisheries they support.

About our university: FIU is a public research university in Miami with a highly diverse, vibrant, and growing student body located near the edge of the Everglades. Our multiple campuses serve over 50,000 students, placing FIU among the ten largest universities in the nation. FIU is Carnegie-designated as both a research university with the highest research activity and a community-engaged university. FIU leads the nation in granting bachelor's degrees in the STEM fields to minority students, and is first in awarding STEM master's degrees to Hispanics.

-----------------------

J.S. Rehage, PhD
Associate Professor

Earth & Environment Department