Subject: [Job] Fish Community Modeller - Ireland - 18 month post
From: Chris Harrod <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 5 Jul 2016 19:03:01 +0000

http://www.fisheriesireland.ie/Notices/job-advertisement-fish-community-modeller.html

Inland Fisheries Ireland (IFI) is the state agency responsible for the protection, management and conservation of Ireland’s inland fisheries and sea angling resources. The organisation was formed on July 1st 2010 following the amalgamation of the Central and seven Regional Fisheries Boards into a single national agency. Ireland has over 74,000 kilometres of rivers and streams and 128,000 hectares of lakes all of which fall under the jurisdiction of IFI.

IFI is seeking to recruit a Fish Community Modeller (on a temporary basis – for approximately 18months) to work in our Research Department based in our Citywest office; there will however be a requirement to travel to Queens University Belfast as part of the role. The successful candidate will report to a Senior Research Officer and will be tasked with developing a realistic mathematical model of predator-prey interactions in lake fish communities. The model will take account of existing knowledge relating to focal species, including population dynamics, life-history strategies, feeding ecology, behaviour and physiology and will be used to evaluate the ecological consequences of fisheries management strategies. They will also be required to contribute to publication of peer review papers and disseminate results at conferences and stakeholder groups; to add to modelling capacity at Inland Fisheries Ireland and contribute to relevant research activities as appropriate and to participate in the fisheries modelling group at QUB.

Key Responsibilities
• Quickly understand the management context of the project and available data
• Design, build in software and test a 2-species model of fish population dynamics
• Interact productively with staff in the IFI research team and contribute to the fisheries modelling group at QUB
• Produce publications and material to support and promote the correct use of the model in fisheries management and policy Proven ability to build and test quantitative computation models in software, including coding in at least one third generation language (C, C++, etc.) and a mathematical scripting language (Matlab, R, etc.)
• Perform other duties as may be allocated by the Senior Research Officer or his /her nominee.
• Bachelor degree in a relevant area
• Available from 1st September 2016
• A full driving licence valid in the state

Education, Experience and Attributes
The successful candidate will ideally possess:

Essential:
Desirable:
• A PhD in a relevant area
• Evidence of successful peer review publication
• Excellent interpersonal skills with an emphasis on communication of science to diverse stakeholders

Tenure and Salary:

Tenure:
This is a temporary appointment. It is estimated that the duration will be for a period of 18 months.
Salary Range:
HEO Salary Scale (1.11.13), €40,675 - €57,405, 11 point scale including 2 LSI’s (appointment will be made on the first point of the scale)
Application Process

Applications for this role should be submitted in the form of a Cover Letter and CV quoting reference ‘Modeller’ to mailto:[log in to unmask] by 5pm Monday 18th July 2016.
Applications will be shortlisted on the basis of information provided in the Cover Letter and CV.
Please note that late applications will not be accepted.
Canvassing will disqualify
Inland Fisheries Ireland is an equal opportunities employer

                   The FISH-SCI List Archive