Subject: Job vacancy for a Research Scientist (Marine Biology / Fisheries Biology / Statistics) at the Thuenen Institute, Germany
From: Christoph Stransky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 23 Jan 2017 11:36:41 +0100

Job vacancy at the Johann Heinrich von Thünen-Institute

At the Institute of Sea Fisheries, one of 14 institutes of the Johann Heinrich von Thünen Institute, Federal Research Institute for Rural Areas, Forestry and Fisheries, the position of a
Research Scientist (m/f)
with an academic education in Marine Biology / Fisheries Biology / Statistics is to be filled within the EU-funded national Fisheries Data Collection Programme (DCF).

The working place is Hamburg-Altona for the first few months and will be relocated to the Institute's new facilities in Bremerhaven, scheduled for May 2018. Candidates are expected to relocate accordingly.

The overarching goal of this position is to optimise the scientific data collection of the Institute of Sea Fisheries in order to fulfil new requirements of the Ecosystem Approach to Fisheries Management, without risking the consistency of valuable existing time series. The position's focus is two-fold: The institute's research surveys at sea are to be optimised, and on the other hand, onboard sampling of commercial fishing vessels should be optimised and improved in efficiency. For commercial sampling, the statistical utilisation of the collected data and the data quality overall is to be improved, within the frame of the available funding.

Therefore, we are seeking for a Marine/Fisheries Biologist with very good mathematical/statistical skills, or a statistician with distinctive subject knowledge in Fisheries Biology. Moreover, very good communication skills are required, in order to transfer and implement the results within our team and in the frame of international/regional co-ordination of monitoring programmes.

Detailed tasks
 Development of statistically optimised sampling strategies and monitoring programmes, adaption to new requirements as well as existing infrastructure of the institute
 Collaboration within international/regional co-ordination of monitoring programmes
 Statistical analysis of multidimensional biological long-term data series of the institute
 Processing of data to address data calls of data users
 Development of methods and indicators for evaluation systems
 Collaboration in the development of data quality standards
 Participation in national and international expert groups, co-ordination meetings and projects related with the topics of the working tasks

Requirements
 University degree (Univ.-Dipl. or MSc) in Marine/Fisheries Biology or Mathematics/Statistics, and PhD
 Proven extensive experience in statistical analysis of complex biological problems, e.g. using uni- or multivariate statistical methods
 Very good knowledge in Fisheries Biology
 Good insight into the functioning of marine ecosystems
 Database handling skills
 Very good skills in R and/or SAS, eventually other programming skills
 High motivation for independent work; reliability and capacity for teamwork
 Strong communication skills in German and English
Job vacancy at the Johann Heinrich von Thünen-Institute

We offer responsible collaboration within a current and increasingly central topic of European Fisheries and Marine Research and an interesting work full of variety.
Employment complies with the German wage agreement for the civil service sector (TVöD Bund), up to salary group E14 (if the requirements are fulfilled). Part-time employment (full-time is 39 hours/week) is generally possible.
The Thünen Institute supports gender equality. Qualified female applicants are encouraged to apply.
Handicapped applicants are especially considered if equally qualified for the job; a minimum of physical fitness, however, will be required.
Additional information is available from Dr. Stransky (Tel. +49 40 38905- 228;[log in to unmask]) or Dr. Kraus (Tel. +49 40 38905-177; [log in to unmask]).

Interested candidates should send their applications (including motivation letter, CV, list of publications, copies of relevant certificates, names and addresses of personal references) preferably via e-mail in one PDF file referring to “SF_Statistik” before 27 January 2017 to the

Johann Heinrich von Thünen-Institut
Institut für Seefischerei
Palmaille 9, 22767 Hamburg, Germany
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]