Subject: [PG] PhD position in coastal fish ecology - Everglades x-post
From: Chris Harrod <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 3 Jan 2017 15:33:14 +0000

Dear colleagues,

The Rehage lab at Florida International University, in Miami, FL is seeking a Ph.D. student interested in the ecology of coastal fishes for Fall 2017 (http://myweb.fiu.edu/rehagej/).

Dates: Desired start date is Fall 2017 (application deadline is February 1, 2017).

About our lab: We are an energetic team of fish ecologists interested in understanding how fishes respond to human and natural disturbance, and how these effects permeate through multiple ecological scales (from individual behavior to population and community dynamics and to human dimensions, such as implications for recreational fisheries). We are part of a highly collaborative south Florida research community, composed of scientists, and federal, state and private partners, all with the shared goal of understanding and forecasting coastal ecosystem responses to the interaction of large-scale restoration efforts and climate change. In particular, we are part of the Florida Coastal Everglades Long Term Ecological Research program (http://fcelter.fiu.edu/). Please visit our website for additional details, http://myweb.fiu.edu/rehagej/.

About this position:  We seek a motivated student with a passion for fish, ecology/fisheries and scientific inquiry. The research will focus on understanding the ecology of coastal fishes in the Everglades, including key recreational species such as common snook, tarpon, Florida largemouth bass, their prey, and how these species respond to hydroclimatic variation, particularly the balance of ecosystem restoration and climate change. The position is associated with Everglades restoration, providing an opportunity for the research to be directly linked to management decisions and restoration efforts, and for outreach and collaboration with recreational anglers.

Desired qualifications:  The ideal candidate will have a passion and experience in fish ecology and/or fisheries, excellent writing and quantitative skills, previous fish/fisheries field experience and an interest in interdisciplinary collaborations and local partnerships with recreational anglers and fishing guides. Boating and angling experience are highly desired.

Stipend & benefits: Competitive support will be a combination of research & teaching assistantships with health care benefits and tuition waver.

To apply:  please contact Dr. Jenn Rehage at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>. In your email please tell us about yourself (research interests and experience, fit to our lab, long term career goals, and your numbers-undergraduate GPA and GRE scores). Please attach a 1) CV with references, 2) unofficial copies of college transcripts, and 3) GRE scores (preferably as a single PDF). Please title your email 'PhD applicant Fall 2017 + your name.' Our graduate program deadline is February 1, 2017 (please see http://earthenvironment.fiu.edu/programs/graduate/ for details on our graduate program).

About our university: FIU is a public research university in Miami with a highly diverse, vibrant, and growing student body. Our multiple campuses serve over 56,000 students, placing FIU among the 5 largest universities in the nation. FIU holds a Carnegie Research 1 designation (highest research activity), and leads the nation in granting bachelor's degrees, including in the STEM fields, to minority students, and is first in awarding STEM master's degrees to Hispanics.

-----------------------

J.S. Rehage, PhD
Associate Professor

Earth & Environment Department