Subject: Graduate Research positions (MSc and PhD); Atlantic salmon; Canadian Rivers Institute at UNB
From: Tommi Linnansaari <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 6 Apr 2017 16:53:08 +0200

Dear colleagues, please share with students who are looking for next steps
in their careers. Distribute widely, sorry for cross-posting.

Graduate research positions ( 2 MSc and a PhD) are available on Atlantic
Salmon Ecology with the Canadian Rivers Institute at the University of New
Brunswick.

1)	MSc Opportunity Beginning Summer 2017 (UNB Fredericton); Atlantic Salmon
Radiotelemetry

Collaboration for Atlantic Salmon Tomorrow (CAST) is a partnership of
scientists, environmental groups, governments, and industry who focus on
understanding recent declines in wild Atlantic salmon populations and
developing management tools to reverse and sustain populations for the long
term. We are seeking a highly motivated and independent M.Sc. student to
undertake a radiotelemetry project to understand movements and behaviour of
adult Atlantic salmon in the Miramichi River, New Brunswick. The Project
will focus on tracking fish stemming from a novel conservation
supplementation strategy and comparing their behaviour to the movements of
wild salmon. The selected candidate will preferably have experience working
in remote wilderness conditions, and have experience or understanding of
radiotelemetry tools; ArcGIS skills are also an asset. This is a fully
funded opportunity (stipend + tuition), which will begin in the summer of
2017.  The deadline is May 5, 2017, but the call will remain open until we
have found a suitable candidate. Please indicate “CAST MSc APPLICATION” in
the subject line of your application email.

Please send a cover letter, CV, transcript from your current degree
(unofficial is acceptable) and names of three references to:
Tommi Linnansaari, CAST ([log in to unmask])
Canadian Rivers Institute
Biology, Forestry, and Environmental Management
University of New Brunswick, Fredericton, NB, E3B 5A3

2)	PhD Opportunity Beginning Summer 2017 (UNB Fredericton); Assessment of
smolt-to-adult supplementation strategy for Atlantic Salmon

Collaboration for Atlantic Salmon Tomorrow (CAST) is a partnership of
scientists, environmental groups, governments, and industry who focus on
understanding recent declines in wild Atlantic salmon populations and
developing management tools to reverse and sustain populations for the long
term. We are seeking a mature and experienced Ph.D.  candidate to a project
evaluating the benefits and risks of smolt-to-adult supplementation strategy
in a controlled field environment (experimental stream). The experiments
will include radio and PIT telemetry, large-scale electrofishing surveys,
assessment of parentage using genetic (SNP) tools, assessment of fish
growth, survival and behaviour.  The selected candidate will have previous
experience running a field-work based program. Good analytical skills,
demonstrated ability to write scientific articles and experience with
telemetry or use of genetic tools are an asset. This is a fully funded
opportunity (stipend + tuition), which will begin in the summer of 2017.
The deadline is May 22, 2017, but the call will remain open until we have
found a suitable candidate. Please indicate “CAST PhD APPLICATION” in the
subject line of your application email.

Please send a cover letter, CV, transcript from your current degree
(unofficial is acceptable) and names of three references to:
Tommi Linnansaari, CAST ([log in to unmask])
Canadian Rivers Institute
Biology, Forestry, and Environmental Management
University of New Brunswick, Fredericton, NB, E3B 5A3

3)	MSc Opportunity Beginning Summer 2017 (UNB Fredericton); Watershed
Connectivity: Managing Barriers for Fish

Barriers to connectivity are often associated with roads, culverts, and even
beaver dams.  An M.Sc. student with the CRI at UNB working in collaboration
with the Restigouche River Watershed Management Council will develop a
watershed-scale connectivity analysis using a GIS model to best inform the
management of connectivity to reproductive habitats for Atlantic salmon in
the Restigouche River watershed.  The project will evaluate the current and
potential available habitats for egg deposition, juveniles, and conservation
requirements needed for an adaptive and integrated management plan.  The
selected candidate will have a background and experience with ArcGIS and a
desire to participate in the field assessment programme.   This is fully
funded opportunity, which will begin in the summer of 2017.  The deadline is
May 5, 2017, but the call will remain open until we have found a suitable
candidate. Please indicate “ASCF MSc APPLICATION” in the subject line of
your application email.

Please send a cover letter, CV, transcript from your current degree
(unofficial is acceptable) and names of three references to:
Allen Curry, MAES ([log in to unmask])
Canadian Rivers Institute
Biology, Forestry, and Environmental Management
University of New Brunswick, Fredericton, NB.  E3B 5A3
Tel: 506-452-6208

More information of the positions, projects and the host institution:

http://canadianriversinstitute.com/

http://www.unb.ca/

http://www.castforsalmon.com/

                   The FISH-SCI List Archive