Subject: [PG] PhD in Climate change impacts on dynamics of exploited fish communities - Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences
From: Chris Harrod <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 25 Apr 2017 17:52:42 +0000

SLU is an international university, providing world-class education and research in the fields of life and environmental sciences.  In fact, SLU is ranked amongst the top 100 of approximately 5 000 European universities.  Each year, more than 100 new students begin their PhD at SLU.

Institutionen för akvatiska resurser in Öregrund
1 PhD student in the research education subject: Biology, specialization in Ecology
http://www.slu.se/en/education/programmes-courses/postgraduate-studies/new-phd-student/Read-more/?sprak=e&Uid=1173

Climate change impacts on dynamics of exploited fish communities

Climate change induces warming of lakes and oceans and this affect fish directly, by acting on their physiology. However, we cannot yet predict how fish populations respond to such warming, because the indirect effects mediated by species interactions are not known. Nor do we know how potential evolutionary responses to warming may affect fish community dynamics. This PhD project is aimed to resolve how fish communities respond ecologically and evolutionarily to warmer waters and to fishing in future climates. This will be done by using a combination of size-based ecological theory, analyses of observational data and dynamic modelling.

You will be part of our research team working on dynamics of fish communities and aquatic food-webs, and their ecological and evolutionary responses to climate change, exploitation and other human pressures. You will also pursue your research and education within our team’s international research network, with possibilities for research visits at other universities.

Research task:

Your task is to analyze how interactions among individuals and species result from, and modulate, responses to climate change and fishing in fish communities. In your research you will apply and develop dynamic models using existing experimental data. The main goal is to analyze population responses to changing environmental conditions and resolve underlying mechanisms and effects of fishing in future climates. Your model development and results will be integrated with laboratory and field experiments on fish-zooplankton interactions, and analyses of observational data on fish communities done in our team.

The PhD project will resolve key ecological issues and produce knowledge needed for responding to major societal challenges: sustainable fisheries and food production in future climates.

The application should be written in English and include the enclosures listed in the application form. Contact details (name, relation to candidate, e-mail address and telephone number) of two reference persons are required.

Starting date August 22nd, 2017, or by agreement.

The Department of Aquatic resources produces key knowledge in limnic, brackish-water and marine ecology, with a focus on fish and shellfish. We conduct research, education, environmental monitoring and assessment, and provide biological advice to promote sustainable use of aquatic resources. The department has more than 180 employees at three divisions located outside Gothenburg (Lysekil), Uppsala (Öregrund) and Stockholm (Drottningholm), and at four field stations. Our combination of science and management advice, from local to international scales, provides a vibrant environment for applied research and education.  Welcome to visit us at www.slu.se/aquaticresources!
Qualifications

We are looking for a motivated and enthusiastic person with strong quantitative skills in ecology and theoretical biology. Applicants should hold a MSc degree in theoretical or animal ecology, aquatic ecology, applied mathematics, or related disciplines. Good knowledge in quantitative analyses of population- or community dynamics is required, and documented experience thereof is desirable. Expertise in population and community ecology, dynamic population modelling, or evolutionary ecology is advantageous. Demonstrated independent scientific work, experience of working in scientific teams, and skills in mathematics, R- or Matlab-programming are considered merits. We place great emphasis on personal qualities such as curiosity, responsibility, and ability to work in teams as well as independently, and on personal suitability for the learning and research tasks. You are fluent in spoken and written English (required).

Forms for funding or employment
Employment as PhD student (2 or 4 years education)

SLU is an Equal Opportunity Employer.

A person has basic eligibility for third cycle education if he or she has taken a second cycle qualification or has completed course requirements of at least 240 higher education credits, including at least 60 higher education credits at second cycle education.

Selection among applicants meeting the requirements is made with reference to written application including curriculum vitae, copies of degrees and transcripts of academic records, one copy of the dissertation for masters or undergraduate degree, a list of at least two references familiar with the applicant's qualifications, certified knowledge of the English language and an interview.

Read about the PhD education at SLU at www.slu.se/en/education/postgraduate-studies/

Use this APPLICATION FORM
http://epi-resurs.slu.se/Forskarutbildningsplatser/Application_PhDeducation_Applicant_1702.pdf
Further information:

    Professor Anna Gårdmark, [log in to unmask], +46(0)10-4784125
    www.slu.se/annagardmark; Associate Professor Magnus Huss [log in to unmask], +46 (0)10-4784127 Noel Holmgren, Head of Department [log in to unmask], +46 (0)10-4784093

Academic union representatives

    SACO Saco-S föreningen SLU +46 (0)18 67 10 85
    SEKO Linda Thörnström +46 (0)18 67 10 57
    ST Lotta Olsson +46 (0)18 67 15 36

Applications, marked with ref no SLU ua 1261/2017, must have arrived at the Registrar of SLU, P.O. Box 7070, SE-750 07 Uppsala or [log in to unmask] no later than 2017-05-29

                   The FISH-SCI List Archive