Subject: [Job] Curator, Ichthyology - Australian Museum
From: Chris Harrod <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 28 Apr 2017 20:20:41 +0000

http://iworkfor.nsw.gov.au/job/scientific-officer-curator-ichthyology-69466

Scientific Officer - Curator, Ichthyology
Organisation/Entity: 	Australian Museum Trust
Job Category: 	    Environmental | Natural and Physical Science

Job Location: 	    Sydney Region / Sydney City

Job Reference Number: 	00005916
Work Type: 	Full-Time
Number of Positions: 	1
Total Remuneration Package: 	$124,404. Package includes salary ($106,805 - $112,228), employer's contribution to superannuation and annual leave loading.
Contact: 	02 9320 6221 - Cameron Slatyer
Closing Date: 	09/06/2017 - 11:59 PM

Scientific Officer - Curator, Ichthyology

Salary Classification: Scientific Officer Grade 4 ($106,805 - $112,228) with a total remuneration package up to $124,404 per annum

Employment Status: Temporary full time employment for a period of up to 4 years

Location: Sydney CBD

About Australian Museum

 The Australian Museum (AM) operates within the NSW Department of Planning and Environment and was founded in 1827 as the first museum in Australia. The AM provides access, engagement and scientific research to increase our understanding of natural history and culture, particularly of the Australasian region. The AM holds more than 18 million objects of biological, geological and cultural collections and develops programs, exhibitions and school and community education initiatives onsite, online and offsite. The AM's purpose is to make nature, Indigenous cultures & science accessible and relevant to everyone.

The Australian Museum Research Institute (AMRI) Division is comprised of the following five Branches: AMRI Education, Life Science, Digital Collections and Citizen Science, Lizard Island Research Station and Australian Centre for Wildlife Genomics.

For more information, visit the following sites:

    Australian Museum Research Institute
    Australian Museum Science Research Strategy

About the role

To increase the impact of ichthyological research at the Australian Museum by undertaking an innovative field and collection-based research program on marine fishes and engaging diverse audiences in the importance of biodiversity and conservation of marine fishes and biogeography.

About the Ichthyology Collection

The Ichthyology collection at the Australian Museum is one of the oldest in the country, dating back to the mid-1800s. The collection holds about 1.8 million adult and larval specimens and over 10000 type specimens (fourth largest in the world).  Collection coverage is worldwide with strong representation from New South Wales and Queensland. Taxonomic strengths include deepsea fishes, gobies and larval fishes.

Essential Requirements

As the successful candidate, you will demonstrate;

    A PhD or equivalent research experience in ichthyological sciences with a strong background in taxonomy systematics and natural history relevant to the Museum's research priorities http://australianmuseum.net.au/uploads/documents/30101/amri_sciencestrategy_2015.pdf
    Demonstrated capacity to conduct research as evidenced by international/peer reviewed publications and success in attracting research funding
    Adequate knowledge and experience to deliver the Key Accountabilities and perform to the Focus Capabilities outlined in the Role Description.

For more information please download the documents Role Description and Applying for a role in the NSW Public Service.

Applicants must submit

    1. Resume
    2. A one to two page covering letter which addresses the above essential requirements
    3. A submission that addresses each of the eight focus capabilities listed in the Role Description (please provide one paragraph for each capability)
    4. A two page submission addressing how your work relates to AMRI Ichthyology

Please submit your attachments as PDF and only applications submitted through Jobs NSW will be considered.

Apply online: https://iworkfornsw.taleo.net/careersection/application.jss?lang=en&type=1&csNo=10000&portal=2160143997&reqNo=1071723&isOnLogoutPage=true&source_id=applydirect

Enquiries: Cameron Slatyer 02 9320 6221 [log in to unmask] or Amanda Hay 02 9320 6310 [log in to unmask]

The Australian Museum welcomes applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, people from diverse cultural backgrounds and people with disability. Please indicate if you have any accessibility requirements in your application or speak with the contact person should you be called for an interview. We provide reasonable adjustment for people with a disability during the recruitment process and on employment.

><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><>
Professor Chris Harrod
(Fish & Aquatic Ecology)

Email: [log in to unmask]
Twitter: @chris_harrod
www.harrodlab.net
HarrodLab: Fish and Stable Isotope Ecology Laboratory
Instituto de Ciencias Naturales Alexander von Humboldt,
Universidad de Antofagasta,
Avenida Angamos 601, Antofagasta, Chile
Chile Mobile: +56 9 7399 7792
Chile Office: +56 55 2637400