Subject: [Job]Tenure-track Position in Fisheries & Aquaculture at SUNY Cobleskill xpost
From: Chris Harrod <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 29 Jan 2018 21:40:09 +0000

The State University of New York at Cobleskill seeks applicants for a tenure-track assistant professor position in Fisheries and Aquaculture. The application review process will begin immediately and will continue until a suitable candidate is found. Priority will be given to applications received by March 1, 2018. See the complete position announcement and apply directly at
https://cobleskill.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=93691

Position Description:
The Department of Fisheries, Wildlife, and Environmental Science (FWES) at SUNY Cobleskill invites applications for a 10-month tenure-track position as Assistant Professor of Fisheries & Aquaculture to start in Fall (August) 2018. This is a hands-on, applied teaching position with a preference given to applicants that seek to develop an undergraduate research program.

The successful applicant must have a strong interest in higher education and be enthusiastic about creating educational teaching environments that are innovative and inspiring to students in the classroom and in the field. The successful applicant will have a demonstrated record of teaching and mentoring undergraduates and will be required to participate in undergraduate advisement and campus governance.
The department seeks an individual with aquaculture and fisheries field experiences in the applied aspects of fisheries/aquaculture/aquatic & marine science. The incumbent in this position may teach some of the following courses:
Fall
*	Aquaculture Engineering
*	Marine Ecology
*	Invertebrate Zoology
*	Fish Hatchery Management
*	Pond Management
Spring
*	Fisheries Techniques
*	Fisheries Science
*	Fisheries Research
*	Production Aquaculture/Mariculture
*	Aquatic/Marine Resource Management

Other teaching responsibilities may be necessary at the direction of the Chair of FWES.

Much of the funding for the FWES department comes from successful, faculty-led grants and contracts.  Preference will be given to the candidate that provides evidence of funded grants and contracts, with a track record of using these resources for students in applied research.

About SUNY Cobleskill:
The State University of New York College of Agriculture and Technology at Cobleskill is an accredited polytechnic college that is primarily baccalaureate and residential. SUNY Cobleskill is one of few institutions in the United States where an undergraduate student may also choose to earn an associate degree. The College has an enrollment of approximately 2,500 students in 52 programs divided into two schools, Agriculture and Natural Resources; Business and Liberal Arts & Sciences.
An economic engine for rural New York, SUNY Cobleskill is home to a wide array of extended learning and professional development opportunities.

Modeling experiential education, SUNY Cobleskill is committed to providing small classes, excellent facilities, and a hands-on learning environment. Whether students plan to further their education or begin their professional careers, they graduate with the foundation to pursue their goals and to succeed.

About the Department:
The Department of Fisheries, Wildlife & Environmental Science (FWES) is a small, collaborative department of seven full-time faculty, one Fish Hatchery Manager, and three staff who are committed to high quality, applied, undergraduate education.  Department members share the teaching philosophy that students learn best by doing; therefore laboratories are "hands-on".  The typical faculty teaching load is 25 contact hours per year.  A fleet of campus vans is available to transport students to field sites.

FWES currently enrolls approximately 270 undergraduates in the following five majors: (1) Bachelor of Technology (BT) in Wildlife Management, (2) BT in Fisheries and Aquaculture, (3) BT in Environmental Management (4) Associate of Applied Science (AAS) in Fisheries and Wildlife Technology, and (5) AAS in Environmental Studies.  FWES moved into a new Agriculture and Natural Resources Center in 2014.  State of the art facilities
include: standalone laboratories in aquatic science, mammalogy, ornithology, herpetology, and a taxidermy studio.  Campus aquaculture facilities include: 50,000 gallon cold water fish hatchery, warm-water fish hatchery, shellfish hatchery, 10 ponds (4 of which are covered by hi-tunnel greenhouses), an aquaponics facility, an ornamental hatchery, endangered species hatchery, and environmentally controlled culture rooms.  FWES maintains all fisheries gear typically possessed by a fish & game agency, including 3 electrofishing boats (one new), four backpack shockers, an electric trawl, numerous boats, motors, trailers, nets, biotelemetry equipment, hydroacoustics gear, and an impressive preserved collection of North American fishes.

Requirements:
Minimum Qualifications
*	A Ph.D. in Aquaculture, Mariculture, Conservation Aquaculture,
Conservation Fisheries, Fisheries Ecology/Management, or closely related discipline is required
*	A New York State license to collect and possess (LCP) must be
obtained and maintained by the incumbent in this position

Preferred Qualifications
In addition to the aforementioned minimum qualifications, it is preferred the candidate also have:
*	College level teaching experience
*	Demonstrated ability to incorporate student centered research
into the classroom
*	A demonstrated record of scholarship in the form of publication,
successful grant writing, and/or presentations at professional meetings

Additional Information:
*	This is a full-time, 10-month, tenure track position.
*	The salary for this position is $50,000 - $55,000.
*	The anticipated start date for this position is August 2018.
*	This position offers full New York State benefits which are
among the most comprehensive in the country.
*	SUNY Cobleskill is committed to providing a safe and productive
learning and living community for our students and employees. To achieve that goal, we conduct background investigations for all final candidates being considered for employment. Any offer of employment is contingent on the successful completion of the background check.

SUNY Cobleskill is committed to fostering a diverse community of outstanding faculty, staff, and students, and ensuring equal educational and employment opportunity and access to services, programs and activities without regard to an individual's race, color, national origin, religion, creed, age, disability, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, familial status, pregnancy, predisposing genetic characteristics, military status, domestic violence victim status, criminal conviction, or any other legally protected status.  Individuals with disabilities requiring accommodation during the hiring process should contact the Human Resources Office at (518) 255-5514.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation.  If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via
email at [log in to unmask]

Application Instructions:
Completed application consists of the following:
1. Letter of application, addressing qualifications and position responsibilities 2. Current CV or Resume 3. Names, emails and phone numbers of at least three professional references 4. College transcripts 5. Statement of scholarly interest 6. Statement of teaching philosophy

                   The FISH-SCI List Archive