Subject: Postdoctoral position in marine predator-prey dynamics
From: Julia Gulka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 13 May 2020 07:33:08 -0400

Overview: The Biodiversity Research Institute (BRI) invites applications
for a postdoctoral researcher to develop predictive models for explaining
distributions of forage fish on the Northwest Atlantic Continental Shelf.
This project, in collaboration with researchers at the National Oceanic and
Atmospheric Administration National Centers for Coastal Ocean Science and
National Marine Fisheries Service, focuses on combining data from multiple
surveys to better understand the distribution and availability of forage
fish to predators in the mid-Atlantic and New England Outer Continental
Shelf. These results will be used to inform models that describe predator
movements, distributions, and population trends in the Northwest Atlantic.

Work Description: The focus of this position will be to develop statistical
models that integrate data on forage fish in the mid-Atlantic and New York
Bights to better understand spatiotemporal patterns in forage fish
distribution and abundance and how they relate to marine predator
distribution and abundance. The successful candidate will be leading model
development with a collaborative team to build models that combine features
like species identification in bottom trawl surveys with spatial coverage
in aerial surveys to better describe patterns of forage fish availability
to predators. These products will then be combined with surveys of
predators like seabirds to determine the spatial and temporal patterns of
these trophic relationships. The successful candidate may have the
opportunity to inform other aspects of the project, such as the movement
modeling of seabirds and temporal trends found in seabird surveys
throughout the region. Expected outcomes for the work are open access model
derived products, at least one scientific publication focused on this
effort, and additional scientific publications with collaborators who will
use these results to answer questions about marine trophic dynamics. Travel
to scientific meetings to present these results is also expected (though
this is dependent on travel restrictions).

Qualifications: Successful candidates will have a Ph.D. in quantitative
ecology, ecology, fisheries, or marine biology with a research focus on
seabirds, forage fish, or their interactions. We are looking for an
individual that is independently motivated, highly organized, a strong
communicator, and a creative analytical thinker. Proficiency in R is
required with experience evaluating model performance within a hierarchical
Bayesian framework preferred (e.g., using software such as JAGS or nimble).
The successful candidate will demonstrate an understanding of analyzing
predator/prey data that are patchy, overdispersed, zero-inflated, dynamic,
and spatially (and/or temporally) autocorrelated. An understanding of the
foraging ecology of marine predators, including seabirds, and experience
conducting marine field work is preferred but not required.

Biodiversity Research Institute: BRI is located in Portland, ME and while
it is preferred for this work to be based out of this office (or near
collaborators at offices in Narraganset, RI and Silver Spring, MD), remote
work is possible. The salary range is $45,000 - $50,000 per year and the
project is 2 years long. Continued funding for the position is possible
dependent on performance and funding. BRI offers fully paid health
insurance to all full-time employees after 30 days of employment as well as
options for dependent health care coverage, dental, long-term disability
(LTD) and life insurance. BRI benefits include paid time off (PTO) and 12
paid holidays annually. A 401k is available to all regular employees after
30 days of employment with an option for an organization match after six
months of employment.

Start date: Summer/Fall 2020

If you are interested in the position please send a cover letter (up to 2
pages), a CV, and contact information for three references to Dr. Evan
Adams (evan.adams[at]briloon.org). Additional questions may also be
directed at Dr. Adams. Review of applications will begin at the end of May
and continue until the position is filled.

All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without
regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity,
national origin, disability or veteran status.

--
Julia Gulka
Marine Biologist

                   The FISH-SCI List Archive