Subject: UVic Ph.D. OPPORTUNITY: eDNA as a tool for monitoring Oolichan
From: Francis Juanes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 13 May 2021 13:59:16 -0700

We would like to report an exciting fully funded Ph.D. opportunity
through the University of Victoria
(UVic) to develop environmental DNA (eDNA) as a tool for monitoring
Oolichan (Eulachon,
Thaleichthys pacificus) populations in British Columbia. The stipend
will be $24,000 per year for four
years and will include a field travel budget and all field and research
expenses covered. The student
will become a key team member in the Conservation and Recovery Research
on Oolichan in Haisla
Territory Project (CAROOHT). The CAROOHT project will be conducted over
five years in a
collaboration between LNG Canada, Haisla Nation, Ecofish Research, DFO
Science and Fisheries
Management, as well as the University of Northern British Columbia
(UNBC), Simon Fraser
University (SFU), and UVic.

The “eDNA as a tool for monitoring Oolichan” Ph.D. will be based out of
UVic and will include
fieldwork to collect eDNA samples in remote rivers in Douglas Channel
and Gardner Canal working
with Haisla Nation and Ecofish Research staff. Some initial Oolichan
eDNA data have already been
collected, which will be used as a starting point for a quantitative
Ph.D. to develop eDNA as a tool
for monitoring Oolichan, including assessment of the presence,
distribution and run-timing of
spawning adults and estimating stock biomass during larval Oolichan
outmigration.

This Ph.D. will be supervised by Francis Juanes in Biology at UVic and
will be supported by Caren
Helbing (Biochemistry and Microbiology at UVic), Mary Lesperance
(Mathematics and Statistics at
UVic) and Morgan Hocking (Ecofish Research and School of Environmental
Studies at UVic).

THE QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS WE ARE LOOKING FOR:
If you have the following qualifications and are looking for an exciting
and challenging opportunity,
we would like to hear from you.
• M.Sc. in Biology or related field an asset
• Applied fisheries focus, fisheries experience an asset
• Quantitative skills required, including statistical modelling using R
or equivalent
• Experience with eDNA or other genomic tools an asset, although focus
will be on the
application of the results rather than lab processing of the data for
the Ph.D. program
• Effective analytical and technical writing skills, and ability to
produce high quality reports
and peer-reviewed articles
• Excellent time management, organizational and multi-tasking skills
• Strong attention to detail with a commitment to quality, excellence,
and ethics

APPLY NOW!
Desired start date is September 2021 or January 2022. Interested
applicants can send a resume and
cover letter that clearly identifies their experience to
Francis Juanes: [log in to unmask]
Caren Helbing: [log in to unmask]
Morgan Hocking: [log in to unmask]
Mary Lesperance: [log in to unmask]