Subject: MS and PhD Assistantships - Ecological assesments of Living Shorelines - Alabama
From: Alexandra Rodriguez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 10 May 2021 19:44:44 +0000

I am seeking motivated and enthusiastic students to fill Marine Science MSc (2 years fully
funded) and PhD positions (4 years fully funded) in the Department of Marine Sciences,
University of South Alabama (http://www.southalabama.edu/marinesciences) based at the
Dauphin Island Sea Lab (www.disl.org). Preferred start date is Fall 2021 (Aug 17, 2021),
although Spring 2022 is possible for exceptional applicants. The positions are funded as a
Research Assistantship which requires the student to work as a research assistant for up to
20 hours per week in addition to conducting their own research. The Assistantship covers a
stipend and tuition. Preferred PhD applicants will have a Masters’ degree and have primary
authored at least one manuscript.

The overarching RESTORE-funded project seeks to build upon existing living shoreline
success while also advancing the science behind living shoreline restorations by making a
comprehensive monitoring plan which will assess and monitor the performance of existing
living shorelines in Alabama’s coastal waters. The comprehensive monitoring effort will
develop a standard set of parameters, including measurements of secondary productivity,
habitat values, and other similar parameters. There is some flexibility for students to
develop their projects according to their interests and preliminary findings, but general
project topics include:
&#9679;	metrics of habitat quality for fisheries species (e.g. growth and condition)
&#9679;	community responses to restoration (food webs, community composition)
&#9679;	synthesizing existing living shoreline monitoring data
&#9679;	developing and testing techniques for using unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV) and
machine learning algorithms as a restoration monitoring tool (coding experience preferred)

Interested applicants should first ensure eligibility
(https://www.southalabama.edu/colleges/artsandsci/marinesciences/Requirements.html),
and then contact Dr. Baker ([log in to unmask]) by Friday, June 11th to express interest and
discuss ideas before completing the online application process through USA. Please use the
email subject “Living Shorelines RA” and include: 1) a cover letter with a description of your
research interests as they relate to this project, 2) your CV including contact details for 3
references, 3) academic transcripts and test scores, and if applicable 4) pdf(s) of any peer
reviewed publications you have authored. If the applicant has no authored publications, an
applicant-led writing sample can be submitted in lieu. Please title all documents using the
format “LastName_DocumentName”, for example “Rodriguez_CoverLetter”.

USA and DISL are EOE/AA/M/F/D institutions and do not discriminate based on ethnicity,
color, national origin, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender
expression, religion, age, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status or any
other applicable legally protected basis. Dr. Baker is committed to diversity and mentoring
students from all backgrounds.

                   The FISH-SCI List Archive