Subject: Living shorelines internship opportunities
From: Alexandra Rodriguez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 13 Jan 2022 20:49:55 +0000

Dear FISH-SCI List,

We are seeking 2 motivated and enthusiastic interns in Dr. Ron Baker’s lab based at the
Dauphin Island Sea Lab (www.disl.org). The positions will be full-time 6-month internships
with possible extensions based on performance. Preferred start date is April 1, 2022 but is
flexible through May 2022. Salary is $12.50/hr and low-cost housing is available on the
DISL campus outside the months of May-July.

Interns will be involved in sample collection and processing, and will be trained in living
shoreline monitoring techniques. Monitoring will include sampling for fisheries species,
marsh vegetation and sediment composition, benthic flora and fauna, oyster reef
monitoring, and topographic/bathymetric mapping. There may also be opportunities to learn
other ecological sampling and processing techniques, including maintaining acoustic receiver
arrays which track fine-scale fish habitat usage, multistressor mesocosm tank experiments,
and other fisheries sampling techniques and subsequent lab processing such as drop
sampling, acoustic tagging fish, and underwater video. Field research will be mostly along
the Alabama coast with some field days characterized by long days of physically demanding
fieldwork and potentially arduous conditions. In addition, interns will be encouraged to
attend seminars on current topics in marine science hosted at the Dauphin Island Sea Lab
and at the University of South Alabama.

Recent graduates (<2 years post-undergraduate science degree) are preferred.  These
internships are available to U.S. citizens and residents only. Interested applicants should
email materials to Dr. Baker by February 15th, 2022. Please use the email subject “LS
intern” and include:
1) a cover letter with a description of your research interests as they relate to this project,
2) your 2-page CV including contact details for 3 references, and
3) unofficial academic transcripts.

Please title all documents using the format “LastName_DocumentName”, for example
“Rodriguez_CoverLetter”. Please direct questions regarding eligibility or the application
process to Dr. Baker.

Please circulate within your networks and to all who may be interested.

                   The FISH-SCI List Archive