Subject: Invited Paper to Special Issue "Alternatives to petroleum-based plastics as a potential solution to the global plastic pollution crisis in marine environments: Do they provide sustainable solutions?"
From: Sedat Gündoğdu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 18 Jan 2022 19:18:34 +0300

Dear Colleague,

We are the Guest Editors of the Special Issue "Alternatives to
petroleum-based plastics as a potential solution to the global plastic
pollution crisis in marine environments: Do they provide sustainable
solutions?
<https://www.frontiersin.org/research-topics/31636/alternatives-to-petroleum-based-plastics-as-a-potential-solution-to-the-global-plastic-pollution-cri>"
in the journal Frontiers in Marine Science
<https://www.frontiersin.org/journals/marine-science> (Impact Factor:
4.912). It is our pleasure to announce this Special Issue, which is open to
receiving articles and reviews for *peer-review* and possible publication.

Please feel free to contact us if you are interested in contributing.
Abstract submissions will be welcome at any point up until *18 March 2022 *and
full manuscript up until *17 May 2022*. Detailed information can be found
at:
https://www.frontiersin.org/research-topics/31636/alternatives-to-petroleum-based-plastics-as-a-potential-solution-to-the-global-plastic-pollution-cri

*Related Topics*

1. Major sources identification of plastic alternatives in the marine
environment,
2. Behaviour of plastic alternatives in the marine environment (key
pathways of transport fragmentation and deposition in seawater and
sediments)
3. Interaction of plastic alternatives and toxic chemicals or biological
constituents/toxins in the marine environment
4. Degradation process of plastic alternatives in the marine environment
(in-situ/ex-situ)
5. Forensics methodologies to determine origin of plastic alternatives in
marine environment
6. Fiber release of recycled plastics and plastic alternatives in textiles
7. Advanced omics approaches for investigation of microbial biodiversity
and their relation to marine plastic degradation,
8. Advanced research studies on biochemical and engineering aspects of
synthetic microplastic biodegradation,
9. Life cycle analysis (LCA) of plastic alternatives with a focus on
integration of end-of-life risks caused by microplastics formation and
other hazards
10 Recommendations to innovators for design and approval of plastic
alternatives
11. Potential unintended consequences of using plastic alternatives to meet
current consumer demand.
12. Strategies to change consumer behaviour and consumption patterns to
promote reductions in single-use plastic alternatives and single-use
fossil-based plastics.
13. Ecotoxicity of plastic alternatives on marine organisms

Guest Editors

*Sedat Gündoğdu*-Çukurova University, Turkey

*Bethanie Carney Almroth*-University of Gothenburg, Sweden
*Scott Coffin*-California Water Resources Control Board, United States
*Claire Gwinnett*-Staffordshire University, United Kingdom
*Tony Robert Walker*-Dalhousie University, Canada

Thanks in Advance

--

*Sedat Gündoğdu PhD (he/him)Associate ProfessorFaculty of Fisheries,
Cukurova University*

*Microplastic Research Group*
Çukurova Üniversitesi Su Ürünleri Fakültesi, Temel Bilimler Bölümü, 1. Kat
01330, Balcalı, Sarıçam, Adana
Twitter: @Sedat_Gundogdu1 <https://twitter.com/Sedat_Gundogdu1>
Linkedin: @Sedat-Gündoğdu
<https://www.linkedin.com/in/sedat-g%C3%BCndo%C4%9Fdu-497a2740/>